Hive V3 Heating & Hot water wiring, convert from single programmer

Vol

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon

Just looking for some help / advice re Hive V3 Dual system.

We have a conventional heating system - Boiler, separate HW cylinder and a 3 way valve - a Y plan I believe it's called from reading through lots of threads on here, which have very helpful so far...

We have a single channel Danfloss programmer (103 I think), cylinder has a thermostat on and a room thermostat in the hall (2 wire connection)

I know i've some rewiring to do and I need to bring anther cable to the 'Hive' controller to enable the 2 channel operation for serrate control of when heating and hot water can be 'active'.

Our boiler is connected with 4 core cable to the programmer - L, N, E and a Switched live.

I've looked at the diagrams, think I've got my head round the rewiring I need to do, which isn't helped by half the connections are upstairs in the airing cupboard (and a mess of wires, so going to be sorting these out).

From what i've read, using the image below:
1) The 2 wire connections that run to the room thermostat - these are not required, I just bridge across or could I just connect the white wire from the 3 way valve to HTG on the Hive controller (basically move white wire from 5 to 4 in drag below)?

2) I need to run 2 cables to the Hive controller for HW, first wire to HW On (connected to the cylinder thermostat (1)) and second wire to HW Off (connected to cy thermostat (2) and Grey wire from 3 way valve).

3) I also have a Switched live that runs to / from the boiler (I need to lift some floorboards up, to see where this is connected to in the Airing cupboard) - if my thinking is correct, is this connected to the pump / 3 way valve (orange power) to power them ? This is what I'm a bit unsure about, what do I do with this wire ? Do I connect it to anything or do I leave it as is and send a switched live to (presumably) the power supply to the pump / valve upstairs ?
Edit: found the boiler instructions and it says the SwL goes to the pump

4) The back of the Danfloss programmer also has a 'Common' connection - do I need to do anything with these wires or as i'm looking to re-wire things as above, will these be surplus to requirements and potentially, I could use them for other wires I need to route ? like I said, it's a mess !

1664115630355.png

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated

Thanks very much
And

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
This
1664118832627.png
is the only bit you need to worry about, it was
1664118957586.png
before as you can see very little has changed, just the name. Also room stat removed, 1664119067585.png

It is unlikely you have 24 volt motorised valves, so you will just loose the links L to both Com's.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vol
Thanks mate (y)

Just what to do with the Switched live from the boiler - do I leave this in place as is connected - so powering the pump ?

The basic principal of re-wiring I need to do I think i've got my head round - simple process of routing a couple of new cables down for the hot water side (as currently joined together in a single controller).

Did see a wiring diagram for the Tado system - which shows the switched live still used, hence me wondering what to do :)

• Thanks
Reactions: Vol
Sponsored Links
Morning guys, thanks for the inputs (y)

So, floorboards up and looked at / traced the wires - looks like from the above diagram and cables I have in place, if i do the following (just using the numbers on the connection block for reference), all should be good and work ?

1 - Live supply (already present)
2 - Neutral supply (already present)
3 - Earth (already present)
4 - Connect white (Mid Valve) to HW ON
5 - not used
6 - Connect Brown (Cy stat) to HW ON (need to run new cable to Hive)
7 - Connect Grey (MV) and Yellow / Green (Cy S) to HW OFF (need to run new cable to Hive)
8 - Connect Orange (MV) and Blue (Cy S) to my Switched live from the boiler (that's present)

So, I need to basically run 2 new wires to the Hive programmer for the Hot Water side and all should work as intended and giving my a 2 programme unit ???

I'm tempted to run a 3 core cable and re-wire the Hot water (as above) and heating to the Hive controller and use the existing cables (buried in the wall) for the N and E connections, making it easier to identify which cable is which - can't see any advantage to running a 4 / 5 core cable - can you ?

Once again, many thanks for your help (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back