Hive was British Gas trying to upsell?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My house has its original boiler, it's on my list to upgrade but not got the money now.

It's one of the central heating systems with water in the attic and airing cupboard with a big tank.

The timer in the airing cupboard has stopped ticking and turning, as well as this the thermostat is the original and the sensitivity is all over the place. Hence why I was thinking about getting a hive system.

British Gas came out to look and said that my heating has a 2 way valves and you either have heating or water and as such it would need to be replaced, oh but that may break my boiler.

So the next steps as he has left it is a quote for a boiler.

So long story short, is he pulling my leg?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
F*kc me.

"It's a two way valve, governor', see, it goes two ways .."

I think you need to ring BG and ask to speak to a very senior manager.

It’s either a 3 port mid position valve or a W-plan diverter style valve. Wouldn’t need a new boiler for that, but may not work with Hive (if a W-plan) - I’m inexperienced with the latter. If it is though, a small upgrade to a mid position valve, or x2 2 ports is all that’s needed, with some minor alterations.

Last edited:
You guys are amazing thank you so much for your help.

Routing around I found a box for a Dm5651 3 port mid position actuator type motor open- motor close.

So if I'm understanding right my next steps on monday are to ring British gas and complain. And ring an independent company to arrange installation.

Thank you guys you have saved my weekend.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
The industry is an absolute disgrace. Its employees should be utterly ashamed at the shenanigans and incompetence going on in it
There is no doubt that some BG engineers push stuff that's unnecessary. But one of my team had a short spell with BG he left mostly because of the constant pressure from upper management to up sell.

The industry is an absolute disgrace.
I think you need to ring BG and ask to speak to a very senior manager.

Phone calls will not get past the front line "Customer Service" defence line,

I believe this is still valid.

British Gas
Mr Matthew Bateman Managing Director
Email [email protected]

previously

Managing Director, Central Heating Insallations
Dates Employed 2010 – 2011
Employment Duration1 yr
LocationNational

Growing our Boiler Installations business

That system will work with a Hive, Nest or almost any other all in one controller, or separate timer and thermostat.

If you want a smart all in one, suggest you get the Nest, as the Hive is a Centrica/BG product.
Don't waste your time complaining to them, just don't buy any of their products and services.

On your top pic, bottom right hand corner, there is a silver wiring centre, if this has a small pcb and relays inside, you will need a new 3 port mid position valve (might get away with just a new actuator) new wiring to the Hive or nest or whatever you choose, either way not a huge job and no need to change the boiler, if you say where in the country you are someone on here might be able to recommend someone in your area

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back