Hive wiring advice please

I'd have to be really, really picky to find fault with the evohome so far. These two are the best I can come up with but neither really bothers me!

1: if fitting the relays to pattress boxes it looks a bit weird, like it doesn't fit flush. But big deal, mine will live in a cupboard and life is too short (though not too short to write this, I hear you say ;) ) and anyway, some sparky on youtube uploaded a video to show how you can make it look prettier, but not worth it in my view.

2: the iPhone app and evohome controller take a few minutes to sync. Not a big deal, more noteworthy then an issue. Polling in software is expensive.

That's it. It's very well designed in my humble view.

Good luck with it. The instructions are excellent. If you can read, you can fit it :)

Sponsored Links
1: if fitting the relays to pattress boxes it looks a bit weird, like it doesn't fit flush. But big deal, mine will live in a cupboard and life is too short (though not too short to write this, I hear you say ;) ) and anyway, some sparky on youtube uploaded a video to show how you can make it look prettier, but not worth it in my view.
Thanks for the extra info! Not sure what you mean by fitting relays to pattress boxes though? Unless it's the wiring of the receiver boxes to the spaghetti junction as seen in one of the pics in my first post?

The evohome relays (the BDR91's) are really meant to be fitted with the wires emerging from the wall, but if you wires run surface mounted (like most heating wires I would have thought, mine all are) you need to either make a hole in the evohome relay (yuk!) or fit a pattress box first (and drill holes in the side of that).

I did that with a hole the size of the heat resistant cable I used for all the wiring in the cupboard area. Looks neat in my view.

http://m.screwfix.com/p/lap-1-gang-surface-pattress-box-with-earth-terminal-white-28mm/67646

It's not a big deal, like I said I'm being very critical and this is the best I could come up with! ;)

Ah I see now. :)

The wires for my existing BDR were dug into the wall by the plumber at the time:

IMG_4473.JPG

Sponsored Links
It's not that big though from what I remember. Probably OK if wiring in 1mm t&e?

I prefer using pattress as a: I have shed loads left over from my house build and b: the fsu is in a pattress anyway as the backing is 1/2" ply I had left over to give a good backing for loads of pipe clips.

Horses for courses I guess. But digging out a wall is "not that neat". I'll say it no stronger than that ;)

I found the link. I didn't use faceplates though as he advocates:

I wanted cables on right though, pattress seems quick simple way to achieve that some I personally had them. Not sure I'd go buy them on purpose.

In every other way it's flexible.

And idea if evohome is planned to be expanded to, say, smoke alarms etc like Nest ?

Or probably not because Honeywell just heating?

Be a shame not to build on this platform.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back