Hive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have searched on here but cannot find an answer. My house was built 30 years ago and in that time I have never been able to run my c/h without the hot water being on. I have hive for about 3 years and all is good. I recently found out that if I switched the receiver to gravity fed mode, blue light, then I will be able to operate c/h and hotter separately.
I tried this but when I switched my hot water off the c/h wouldn't come on, even though I raised the thermostat.
Any help would be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Some systems were designed and installed in such a way that the hot water is always on with the heating.
To change it will require various plumbing alterations. You can't do it by just changing the thermostat or other controls.

That is how gravity HW circulation systems work,you can have HW only or HW and CH together you cant get CH on its own, if your house is only 30 years old it would be unusual for you to have gravity HW circulation, post some pics of your HW cylinder and pump and any valves

That is how gravity HW circulation systems work,you can have HW only or HW and CH together you cant get CH on its own, if your house is only 30 years old it would be unusual for you to have gravity HW circulation, post some pics of your HW cylinder and pump and any valves

We have an Oso system in the loft, with a header tank for the heating.

kWwXw+PRRhGxZ81jfovfMw.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You do not have a gravity HW circulation system you have a Y plan system, completely different set ups

You do not have a gravity HW circulation system you have a Y plan system, completely different set ups

Thanks but I was still told that the Hive could operate hw and ch separately by the Hive tech support by putting the receiver into gravity fed mode. Are they wrong?

you are doing it again, what you call gravity fed is actually open vent , you do not have a gravity HW circulation system,set your hive to fully pumped not gravity, and stop using the term Gravity about your system when contacting any technical advise , your system is Y plan, a gravity HW system is a completely different thing

you are doing it again, what you call gravity fed is actually open vent , you do not have a gravity HW circulation system,set your hive to fully pumped not gravity, and stop using the term Gravity about your system when contacting any technical advise , your system is Y plan, a gravity HW system is a completely different thing

I am not saying I have a gravity fed system, I accept that it is Y plan! BUT, Hive tech support have told me that with my Y plan if I put the receiver into gravity fed mode it will allow me to control my ch and hw separately. Thats all.

well it wont , you have to set it to pumped if you want independent control

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back