Hob isolation switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am getting a kitchen island were there will be an electric hob situated.
I am putting a DP (50A) isolation switch in a cupboard on the kitchen island,
I ASSUME THIS IS OK??

can i just put the cabling form the hob straight to the isolation switch since there are in close proximity?

Sponsored Links
This would depend on status of "I". If you are a registered electrician then likely yes but if you are why do you need to ask question.
If the work has been registered with the local authority building control under Part P then likely yes. Although since they are responsible it would be prudent to ask them.
If non of the above then No as it is not allowed under Part P.

Forgetting Part P then it is the physical retention of the cable that one must look at. The cooker connection unit will have some cable restraint but isolators may not have this. Using glands you may be able to add this feature. Or because of way it is all mounted it may not need it. It is something that can only be worked out when on site. But there are no hard and fast rules that require the use of a cooker connection unit.

clue is in the name and the location there eric.. ABERDEEN... Scotland..

part P isn't valid up there, they got their own set of building regs..

so you'll have to see what's required under them..

see the wiki for details on electrics under scotish building regs..

Sponsored Links
clue is in the name and the location there eric.. ABERDEEN... Scotland..

part P isn't valid up there, they got their own set of building regs..

so you'll have to see what's required under them..

see the wiki for details on electrics under scotish building regs..
Ups! you are right of course however I understand they are stricter North of the Boarder. Unlikely to work in Scotland again I have to cross two boarders to get there.

As to accessible not sure in Domestic in Industry has to be in sight of operator. So that he can be sure isolator is not turned on while he is working on it. The Cupboard doors being in sight would likely comply.
Assessable is hard to define and a quick scan through BS7671:2008 I can't find any reference to it.

Regulation "537.4.1.4 The arrangement of the emergency switching shall be such that its operation does not introduce a further danger or interfere with the complete operation necessary to remove the danger." Is the one which controls sighting of isolator. It was common to mount behind the cooker which in the case of a chip pan fire or the like would be likely to introduce a further danger when one tried to use it. Hence now always to one side of cooker not directly above. The same must be considered where burning liquid is running off the cooker the cupboard should not be where in the case of fire one may be unable to access it.

However it hardly matters if behind a counter hidden but the micro wave or in cupboard hidden by tins of beans as electricians we have no control over the house wife. And on a island there may be very limited places where it can be mounted?

I am putting a DP (50A) isolation switch in a cupboard on the kitchen island,
I ASSUME THIS IS OK??

It is NOT OK, it is safety device and should be clearly visible at ALL times.

I would agree that it should be clearly visible. But I can't find a regulation that requires that. Can you give the regulation which requires it? I seem to remember it in old 16th Edition but can't find in 17th Edition?

537.4.2.7 A device for emergency switching shall be so placed and durably marked so as to be readily identifiable and convenient for the intended use.

Is all I could find.

put the switch on the face of a spacer piece between the cooker and the next cabinet..

Seems likely to be brushed up against and accidentally operated?
I have a table saw with a knee operated safety switch, but I doubt there would be such a need with a cooker.

most cooker switches are very firm in their operation, and as such I doubt very much than you could accidentally operate it, likewise, they are rocker switches not push buttons, so you'd have to exsert pressure in a very specific and small area..
MK ones are better still because they are lever type and require vertical pressure to operate.

it goes that side because it would be behind the oven door when it opens otherwise ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back