Hobbies.

Well, I will tell you anyway. I am a guitar teacher. That means I know.

80s Japanese Strats are quite common, many pupils of mine have them. Just because they are not on ebay means nothing.

I could even tell you what settings you had your guitar and amp on.

And, as someone pointed out, while this thread should have been called "Listen to me" or whatever, those who say don't give up the day job are silly - your playing is quite alright - everything is in time and the dynamics are fine.

Sponsored Links
I'd have to disagree there. They aren't common compared to Squires. It's not an arguable point.

And the pieces I played have quite severe timing issues due (oddly enough) to a type of stage fright. I can play them all perfectly until I click the record button - then they all go haywire. I've sorted it since by practice. I'll record something Christmasy when I get the chance.

BTW, what type of stuff do you play?Are you any good at hybrid picking?

joe

I play everything.

I can hybrid pick too. Sometimes I do it when I don't have to, just for fun.

Late to this thread, so apologies for the bump, but I thought it was pretty good Joe. I have no musical talent whatsoever, so am a bit jealous of anyone that can make an instrument make good noises like that ......

Sponsored Links
Trumpet Voluntary (1700) by Jeremiah Clarke

Bend a few strings round that Joe .. you may be seen as expert thereabouts M8y.
ooroo
;)

empip said:

ooroo
;)

What is the point? joe never claimed to be an expert.

I'll do it. No problems. If I can whistle it I can play it straight off. I hear all the notes in my head and I know all the intervals on the guitar so I can play anything straight off no practice needed.
The only problem is that it isn't a piece that I'm overly familiar with so if my memory remembers it a bit wrong then I'll play it wrong (just like whistling).
I'm familiar with the main theme at least.

It's surprisingly simple as a musical structure. It's a simple G/C major triad for the first section with a D major triad chucked in for the second to support the F# modulation. I'm sure our guitar teacher knows more about the theory and will actually play the piece and make me look a plonka. Anyway I'll do what Kendor suggests and download it of the Internet and claim it's me.

The hassle is that my strings are pretty dull and I hate setting up the system for recording.

But I'll do it anyway just for the heck of it.

joe

OK I'm struggling a bit at the moment because it's been about a year since I used Adobe Audition and I've forgotten how to use it.

I could only get it to record in one channel for some reason so it's a bit distorted. Not only that, but I couldn't hear the chords very well when I played the solo so the timing is all over the shop.

Gimme a few days to remember how to record it and I'll make a better job of it.

This is a first (and very rough) attempt.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/nwd/trumpet.mp3

joe

Not as good as your others but still pretty good. It sounds distorted because you have your Windows Mixer settings too high, probably.

As a slight aside, most of the general public wouldn't know decent music and talent if it came up and bit them on the bottom. This is why the Top 40, made of 'popular' music is so bad. Programmes like "The X Factor" et al are absolute trite and do not represent real music.

Both tracks were first takes. I usually have a few goes at it but I can't remember how to set the amp/guitar/software up to get a decent sound.
Gimme a day or two and I'll tweak it around until I get it right, then I'll give it another whirl.

joe

As a slight aside, most of the general public wouldn't know decent music and talent if it came up and bit them on the bottom. This is why the Top 40, made of 'popular' music is so bad. Programmes like "The X Factor" et al are absolute trite and do not represent real music.

now i hate the x factor and the top 40 etc, being an old fart, but isnt the point of music to be enjoyed by those that listen to it, so you pay your money and take your choice?

oilman said:
empip said:

ooroo
;)

What is the point of anything on General Chat? Does there have to be?
Joe has been accused, at times, of 'blowing his own trumpet' Geddit ? ..
Trumpet .. Expert ... thereabouts. Blimey, just a joke.

Nevertheless .. sounds fine Joe, well done. :D

empip said:
oilman said:
empip said:

ooroo
;)

What is the point of anything on General Chat? Does there have to be?
Joe has been accused, at times, of 'blowing his own trumpet' Geddit ? ..
Trumpet .. Expert ... thereabouts. Blimey, just a joke.

Nevertheless .. sounds fine Joe, well done. :D

Lovestory is very relaxing .. excellent mate. Get the better recording kit without delay .. life is short you know..

Sponsored Links
Back