Hole in concrete floor below kitchen sink unit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've been trying to find the source of a cold draft in my kitchen after taking off the plinth below my sink I have found a hole in the concrete floor (where the cold air is coming from), and it has a pipe going into it. I have a few questions...

1. Does anyone know what this pipe is? I think the white pipe next to it going into the ground is the drain, could this be cold water feed? The stopcock is above this at the back of the unit, but think that has copper pipe? (I have no idea about plumbing so this may be a silly question)
2. Can i fill the hole in to stop the draft? Expanding foam?
3. I have also noticed there is a lot of what looks like condensation build up on the pipes in this area, so much so that it is actually dripping onto the floor. Is this as a result of the cold air coming up from the hole? Should this go if i fill the hole in? Anything else i should be worried about?

See photos

Cheers
Luke

Attachments

• CB8B413D-8152-45D1-8113-EFCAF312A605.jpeg
    CB8B413D-8152-45D1-8113-EFCAF312A605.jpeg
    209.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4509.jpeg
    IMG_4509.jpeg
    350.8 KB · Views: 50
Sponsored Links
Duct for cold water mains, seal up but leave the joint accessible
Ok thanks - expanding foam okay? And by joint i assume you mean up to the blue nut that's in line with the floor? Do you also think this is the cause of the excess condensation on the surrounding pipes?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back