hole saws/cutter which type??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just getting round to buying a replacement to my diy set of hole saws, and wondered which to get as a sparky?

hole saw kits are widely used, but make a hell of a mess and ket carp in your eyes/hair if using them overhead.
ie this type
HOLESAW.JPG

wondered if the hole cutters were any good, or a bit of a gimmick?
this type
http://www.lsdinc.com/images/products/hole_cutter.jpg

dont want to spend money on somthing useless, and want somthing that will last.

Sponsored Links
the one in the link is for boards and wood

do you need it for sheet metal or masonery???

its probably going to be for boards/wood (dare i say it, for down lights etc...)

not going to be boring holes through bricks just jet (not that size anyway)

The hole cuttery thing in your link is rubbish. If you'd have asked about five years ago you could have had mine before it went in the bin.

Buy some proper holesaws and they'll last you for ages.

The ones in your picture are rubbish as well.

I've found starrett, CK and bahco holesaws to be good brands.

Always drill on a low speed, especially on down lights. If you can get it so the drill is barely turning and you could probably turn the holesaw quicker by hand then you're about right.

This stops all the dust being flung everywhere and a well positioned box on top of your steps shold catch most of the just while you remain almost dust free.

Also use a low speed for cutting metal as it stops the saw getting too hot. I've had my 20mm holesaw for 3 or 4 years now and it gets used on steel most days.

Sponsored Links
i once used a cutter like the one in the link .set it to somthing like 70mm the problem is you cant really see the blade when cutting because of the guard. the upshot was the blade slipped and when id finished i could get my head through the hole .first and last time i used it .

cheers, Ill go with proper saws then, the pic wasnt one that I was thinking of buying, just to illustrate what I was meaning...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back