holesaw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Years ago I had a mandrel that held two of the larger thread holesaws, enabling you to enlarge an existing hole using one as a guide.
Do they still exist.
Any other options to make a hole 10mm bigger in a 15mm thick fancy wood display,
last option was to bind one with tape and wedge one inside the other

Sponsored Links
Cut a hole in a piece of scrap timber that's the same size as the existing hole.
Glue the cut out piece into the existing cabinet hole.
Cut the larger hole once glue is dry.

Sponsored Links
Reload arbors do it. I've had mine for about 10 years now and it's brilliant.

I don't use anything else even when not enlarging as the clip on design makes changing and emptying the hole saw really quick.

You'll need to buy the arbour and a set of bosses which whilst they aren't cheap, they'll go on for many years.

http://reloadtools.co.uk/buy-now

Increasing from 50 to 70mm, that size mandrell thread is larger than the 20/25 starrats.
a cone cutter that size would be some beast, i wonder if they do exist :)
flameport, it needs doing in 2 hours so unfortunately no time for that.

About 15 years ago there was a thing called a "reloader" i think they were orange, it came in a set of 3 and you fitted them on your holesaw blades plus 1 bit for the mandrel, this made a quick release function as you just clicked them together, then twisted to release, the set included 1 longer thread that you could screw 2 blades on.
Mine was nicked but cant find anyone that remembers them, they were on display at the time at most wholesalers.

Reload arbors do it. I've had mine for about 10 years now and it's brilliant.

I don't use anything else even when not enlarging as the clip on design makes changing and emptying the hole saw really quick.

You'll need to buy the arbour and a set of bosses which whilst they aren't cheap, they'll go on for many years.

http://reloadtools.co.uk/buy-now

well done RF I was just typing that

that size mandrell thread is larger

When you need to have two holesaws with both the different thread sizes on the same arbor, you want this...

http://www.starrett.co.uk/shop/hs_accessories/oopsarbor/
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Starrett-OOPS-Arbor-Hole-Enlargements/dp/B001LFBJKS

If you then added the little thread size adapter thing you get in holesaw sets...

0207221_hr4c.jpg

...then you could have two of the larger size threaded holesaws on the 'oops' arbor.

Are you sure there isn't enough thread poking through the first holesaw on a standard A2 arbor to add a second holesaw?

Gaz :)

Last edited:
Increasing from 50 to 70mm, that size mandrell thread is larger than the 20/25 starrats.
a cone cutter that size would be some beast, i wonder if they do exist :)
flameport, it needs doing in 2 hours so unfortunately no time for that.
I totally misread the post, I thought you wanted to go from 10 to 15mm, not make it 10mm larger in 15mm thick wood, a cone cutter wouldn't be able to do anything that thick, you'd end up with a cone shaped hole!

This cheap and cheerful set lets you put two holesaws on the same arbour at the same time, and it's under a tenner. It's not gonna last you a lifetime or anything, but it's got a 51mm and a 72mm

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-downlighter-holesaw-set-9-pieces/71760

Are you sure there isn't enough thread poking through the first holesaw on a standard A2 arbor to add a second holesaw?

Gaz :)

Sure it didnt years ago,suppose I should recheck.
A lot of other people copying starrat now, so mind find a longer NON starrat one will

Im gonna get the "reload" thingy, as RF says you dont realise how usefull they are till you have one, its a shame they never caught on and the price dropped.
But I see eddys and Cef sell them so may get a bit off

When you need to have two holesaws with both the different thread sizes on the same arbor, you want this...
Gaz

I dont get that, in the picture it has little and big thread, so why cant you fit any of the two thread size holesaws

You can fit a 20mm holesaw inside a 70mm holesaw with their different thread sizes should you want to do so with the reload bosses.

Rf can you fit say a 50mm and a70mm with the larger threads on to that RELOAD, I forget now
that starrat oops arbour looks like you can, yet the text says you cant

Yes the boss has enough thread so you can fit two holesaws with the larger thread pattern inside one another on the same boss.

The only slight drawback I've ever found is when you're drilling deep holes in thick material the boss bottoms out before the holesaw does, but the pros definitely outweigh the cons.

I use starret holesaws if they're a common size or Screwfix cheapies if it's a rare one off size and both stack on one boss.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back