Home Brew!

I used to make wine years ago and was an avid fan of a home brew radio programme. One of their top tips for making wine was to always add a bottle of cheap rose' wine to the mix.
What effect did that have holms?

Sponsored Links
:) Unfortunately I've no idea and can't remember the reason. Because I never made wine without adding it.

I used to use wine kits, the wine always had a good fruity taste but was lacking body. But I've bought and tasted worse.

Think I might have another go.

Thinking about it, now have nice new brick built shed @ bottom of garden.
Time to make it more than a test bench for all things electrickery :D

Sponsored Links
Brewed my own wine for years now, started with blackberry and apple in a one gallon whiskey bottle and have moved onto proper demijons.
I've tried elderberry using wild yeast , similiar to the "noble rot" of French wines, flower wines such as rose which if I'm honest was a little insipid, parsnip which was cracking, ruhbarb, plum , gooseberry and loads more mostly successful :LOL: although I made some potato wine that turned out like pigswill :confused: .
Sloe gin is a regular in our house (with almond essence) but I have to admit I've never tried beer making and most home made beer I've tried has been frankly cack . When I was younger I had an auntie who brewed her own beer and she would give my father and me a glass every time we went over. Soon as she left the kitchen we would pour it down the sink :eek:

Found this guide to making wine from supermarket fruit juices, at last something useful from the BBC.

We brew our own beer and wine. I don't personally like grape wines so we make things like elderberry, dandelion and so on. Redcurrant wine is superb.

We tend to get beer and cider kits but you can brew excellent beer yourself from hops and malt. I recommend Brewing Better Beers by Ken Shales. It's quite an old book but the recipes are simple and easy to follow and his Good Hope bitter is magnificent.

Ive been brewing for ages, beer and wine, the beer kits are about £10 another £2 for the sterilising stuff and sugar, and you have 5 gallon for £12, nice stuff too, I have a couple of pressure barrels, and re-use lemonade/pop bottles (bottles transport easier for those weekends away!!)

The reason (IIRC) for home made spirits, is not to do with licencing (its illegal to home distill most of the world, I believe only New Zealand its actually legal), but to do with the alcohols involved, when distilling it is far too easy to get more than the alcohol you want, getting methanol produced which is actually toxic, rather than just the ethanol.

I used to make wine years ago and was an avid fan of a home brew radio programme. One of their top tips for making wine was to always add a bottle of cheap rose' wine to the mix.

Interesting, I wonder why. Did they say when to add it, start of fermentation, halfway through, at the end?

Sponsored Links
Back