Home Office: making life easier

rsp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We're having a new home office built this week and I'm interested to know if some of my ideas are safe and also 'legal' according to Part P. I thought I'd consult the experts before I went ahead and did this.

Basically all I'm looking to do is to install a pair of surface-mounted double-pole switches that get their supply from an existing double socket (via a fused 13a plug, not the actual wiring) and on the 'load' side of the switch having a surge-protected multiplug.

I am NOT planning on removing the socket cover, and hardwiring the supply into the socket from the mains circuit. I am simply thinking about using a standard fused 13A plug, with some heat resistant flex connected to a double pole switch, and then running that same flex into a 6- or 8- way surge protected multiplug.

The supply socket is a double socket, and I was hoping to connect two of these 'switched extensions' off of that. Is that possible and safe?

The goal is essentially to just have two easily accessible double-pole switches that I can use to turn on/off all our equipment with ease.

I should probably point out that the proposed distance from the supply socket to the double pole switches would not exceed ~50cm.

I hope this makes sense.

Thank you

R.

Sponsored Links
why not just do it properly and add another switched double socket in the location you want?

Hello Plugwash

Thanks for the suggestion, but the purpose of installing the two switches is because we want all of the 'actual' plugs etc hidden from sight, and once the home office is fitted the wall sockets will be virtually inaccessible anyway.

Perhaps I should have mentioned: the sockets are below the desk, the switches I'd like to install will be above.

Thanks

I see two problems with what you propose.

Firstly you need to restrain flexes so they don't get pulled out. Ordinary switches don't tend to come with cord grips.
Secondly being rather unconventional it is questionable whether it fits within the exceptions of the notification requirements of part P and I really don't think you wan't to get building control involved.

How about extending the ring to supply a couple of FCUs above the worktop and then wiring your extention leads into theese?

Sponsored Links
With regard to restraining the flexes, good point. The flex would be installed in electrical trunking; rather than purchase two fused connection units, I could prevent the flex being ripped out of the switches by firmly securing the flex to the end of the trunking with cable ties.

I'm not sure why wiring a switch between a plug socket and a multi-way surge protected extension would be considered unconventional?

If you think it'd be better using two FCUs rather than a double pole switch then I shall take your advice.

Thanks again

You say the sockets will be inaccessible so presumably will be the plugs aswell, what happens if a plugtop fuse blows?

I have a 6-way version of this in my home office :

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...1500011416.Leads,+connectors+and+adaptors.htm

In my case, the socket this extension plugs into is accessible above the desk so I can simply switch the whole thing off at the plug.

In your case, you could plug two into your existing socket and have the adaptor visible, screwed to the wall just above the desk, or somewhere where you can access the built-in switch on each one. It might not look as neat or quite as professional, but it'll save you hassle by the sounds of it.

Or is there a reason for specifically wanting a double-pole switch ?

what about one of those ext. leads where the " master..." device switches all the others off as well ?

Why do you need to be able to switch off the multi way extentions anyway??

Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but when I'm done with teh computer, I shut it down, and then switch off the multiway lead at the S/O

Except the server, that stays on all the time!

Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but when I'm done with teh computer, I shut it down, and then switch off the multiway lead at the S/O

This will also save the OP power and hence money. Switched "apparently" off, my PC, desk lamp, monitor and speakers pull almost 100 watts. A bit less low tech than the auto-switch off things but pretty damn effective & cost zero to run.

Hi

The only reason I am specifically wanting to install "a switch" is so that I can keep all the plugs etc out of the way, and just have the switch visible above the desk.

If one of the plug fuses does blow at any point, they won't be "totally" inaccessible - this is really an excercise in tidying away the cables we don't want to see and making it easy for us to switch on/off everything.

Thanks

I have a 6-way version of this in my home office :

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...1500011416.Leads,+connectors+and+adaptors.htm

In my case, the socket this extension plugs into is accessible above the desk so I can simply switch the whole thing off at the plug.

In your case, you could plug two into your existing socket and have the adaptor visible, screwed to the wall just above the desk, or somewhere where you can access the built-in switch on each one. It might not look as neat or quite as professional, but it'll save you hassle by the sounds of it.

Or is there a reason for specifically wanting a double-pole switch ?

Hi Adam_151,

There are several computers in this setup - plus a server. The server is always on, but there are several other peripherals that need to remain switched on along with the server.

This is why I opted for the two-switch setup: one switch to control the supply to the server and peripherals (mostly this will be left ON), and the other to the remaining PCs and peripherals (on and off).

Thanks

what about one of those ext. leads where the " master..." device switches all the others off as well ?

Thanks for the suggestion mate but I don't really like those and they're a bit more expensive anyway.

You say the sockets will be inaccessible so presumably will be the plugs aswell, what happens if a plugtop fuse blows?

They will be inaccessible but it won't be impossible to get to them. The purpose of this excercise it to hide away all the cables we don't want to see, and to prevent us from having to constantly 'dive' under the desk into a cupboard to turn a supply on or off.

If a plugtop fuse blows it could be replaced but as this would be the exception rather than the norm its worth me having the flexibility of a switched solution vs. the hassle of trying to replace a fuse later on.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back