Home Report - "Along Mixed Lines"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just bought a repossed flat with a plan to doing it up and selling / renting it.

The home report stated that the electrics appeared to be "along mixed lines".

I'm wondering what this means?

All seems to be fine to me, the sockets work when the sockets fuse is on, and not when it's off. Ditto the lights, cooker and shower.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It could mean there are alterations or additions of varying age?? The only person who can tell you is who carried out the report.
The ultimate way of finding out the condition of the electrical system is to get an electrician to carry out an "Electrical Installation Condition Report" (formerly known as a Periodic Inspection Report)

The home report stated that the electrics appeared to be "along mixed lines".
Did they code this, if so 1,2 0r 3?
I'm wondering what this means?
Would advise asking the company/inspector that made the report.
I never heard the term used.
All seems to be fine to me, the sockets work when the sockets fuse is on, and not when it's off. Ditto the lights, cooker and shower.

Just because things work does not automatically make it safe or fit for use.
You say it was a repossession, was there warning tapes on the fuse board and accessories, indicating not to use.
As pointed out by Spark123, best route to take is getting an EICR done on the system.

They coded it as 2:
The electrics are along semi mixed lines with a limited number of power points in some apartments. There are some loose electrical covers to sockets. It is recommended that all electrical installations be checked regularly to keep up to date with frequent changes in Safety Regulations. A qualified NICEIC registered Contractor will advise.

I'd assumed it meant that the previous owners had run a socked off a lighting circuit in the loft or something etc, but definitely not that.

The flat's in good condition, and other than the loose sockets in the kitchen (which were only off to allow a plasterer to do 3/4's of the walls- god knows why he stopped there), there's tape on the taps and fuse board, but that's standard practice isn't it?

Is this not just the report author just covering himself for things you can't see / he didn't check?

Sponsored Links
They coded it as 2:

Well there will likely to be the need of some improvement.
The electrics are along semi mixed lines with a limited number of power points in some apartments. There are some loose electrical covers to sockets. It is recommended that all electrical installations be checked regularly to keep up to date with frequent changes in Safety Regulations. A qualified NICEIC registered Contractor will advise.
If you intend to rent out you will need to do regular checks and install smoke alarms.
There are more than just NICEIC registered Contractor qualified to undertake this type of work.
The flat's in good condition, and other than the loose sockets in the kitchen (which were only off to allow a plasterer to do 3/4's of the walls- god knows why he stopped there), there's tape on the taps and fuse board, but that's standard practice isn't it?
Likely that the 1/4 wall remaining un-plastered was intended to have kitchen base units over it.
Tapes are standard practise on repos, but was making sure.
Is this not just the report author just covering himself for things you can't see / he didn't check?
Likely jobs for the boys and a generic report. With rectrum protection

Just because things work does not automatically make it safe or fit for use.
And it's not unknown for people who've had their home repossessed to do a little sabotage as revenge just before they leave.

Although to be fair most people wouldn't know to create non-obvious faults.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back