Consumer unit bathroom, nothing on home report?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, tonight I went to put up a couple of light fittings up for a friend of a friend in a new (to them) flat.
Went to isolate the lights and told the fusebox was in the bathroom!
They said the home report they got stated electrics were fine.
As you can see the fusebox is right above the bath/shower area.
Was lookin up the red book to get a reg number that they can quote to the estate agent/home report company but as the installation is older than 17th ( possibly 16th) would one be applicable?
After a look at other flats ( block of tennaments) it looks like there used to be a cloakroom with the fusebox inside, this has been removed to make a bigger bathroom, leaving the meter, fusebox ect, protected by a plywood cupboard.
Any thought on how they could proceed?
Thanks folks

IMAG0646.jpg

IMAG0645.jpg

IMAG0647.jpg

IMAG0644.jpg

Sponsored Links
Unsightly. I wouldn't be happy with that at all.

However, a situation ought not occur if it can be gauranteed that the cabinet is splash proof.

It is technically in Zone 2 as it is directly above the bathtub so shouldn't be there, the cabinet doesn't appear to be locked or screwed shut.
No sign of an RCD so in general should have had points flagged up. Also shouldn't have meter tails entering the consumer unit through separate holes!
A proper EICR by an electrician would be a good idea!!

No sign of an RCD so in general should have had points flagged up.

Old install, not a major problem unless there's proof of alterations during a period where said circuits were under such regulation.

Sponsored Links

Old install, not a major problem unless there's proof of alterations during a period where said circuits were under such regulation.

I would have thought that it would have to have some relevance to current standards, an EICR has to be done to the 17th edn.
If it is the case of having to be to the standard when installed then a house rewired in 1920 would in that case be fine as long as it still met the standards when installed if no alterations have been carried out!!

It is technically in Zone 2 as it is directly above the bathtub so shouldn't be there, the cabinet doesn't appear to be locked or screwed shut. No sign of an RCD so in general should have had points flagged up.
It's something that has recently been talked around in another thread, but I'm not sure I can see anything in the regs which actually allows any 'electrical switchgear' (let alone everything we're looking at!) in zone 2, even if it is in a cabinet which is locked or screwed shut - am I missing something. In any event, would having the CU (hence main switch and MCBs) 'inaccessible' behind a locked or screwed-shut door actually be acceptable? - doesn't sound very safe to me!
Also shouldn't have meter tails entering the consumer unit through separate holes!
Why not? - I haven't heard of that one before (and have plenty of CUs in my house which break that rule) - what am I missing? Isn't it quite difficult to achieve the required IP level if both go through the same hole (particularly if they enter from above)?

Also, do I take it that the thingy between meter and CU (with red and black levers) is just an isolator. I can't really see it clearly enough, but I presume that the two levers are linked (i.e. that one can't just switch off the neutral!!)?

Kind Regards, John

I'd just issue a safety defect notice under ESQCR with a specified time to rectify the situation or risk disconnection.
No it's not written any where that it is prohibited but anyone that feels it safe is on dodgy territory

Also shouldn't have meter tails entering the consumer unit through separate holes!
Why not? - I haven't heard of that one before (and have plenty of CUs in my house which break that rule) - what am I missing? Isn't it quite difficult to achieve the required IP level if both go through the same hole (particularly if they enter from above)?

Where individual conductors pass through a metal enclosure, there is a risk of eddy currents if they do not occupy the same hole.

JohnW2 said:

See 521.5

I would have thought that it would have to have some relevance to current standards, an EICR has to be done to the 17th edn.
If it is the case of having to be to the standard when installed then a house rewired in 1920 would in that case be fine as long as it still met the standards when installed if no alterations have been carried out!!

It's a condition report. You can't report the condition of a say, 70s era installtion in accordance to the 17th edtion as you know from the outset they differ and regulations have never been retrospective.

Where individual conductors pass through a metal enclosure, there is a risk of eddy currents if they do not occupy the same hole.

Indeed. There's a panel at work that's actually got burn marks where it got so hot because of it. We are talking of about 200A per phase in this instance, though the heat over time on 100A won't do it much good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back