homer - how much ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have been asked to do a homer for a friend of a friend of my Girlfriends family, so lets just say i dont know them..

they want a new bathroom.

i have to rip out old bathroom inc wall tiles / replace bath / re-work pipework /redo boxing in of pipework fit new electric shower shower screen and various bathroom accessories - the amount of work would be aprox 3 shifts

any ideas ? how much extra do you charge for ripping tiles off etc? ??

Sponsored Links
Not enough info to advise here...

Bet it takes longer than three shifts though!

Friend of a friend doesn't really qualify for "mates rates"

It is sometimes too easy for people to give you a recommendation as a cheap contractor.

Taking tiles off walls is never an exact science so don't paint yourself into a corner with the price.

I would charge them on a day rate and give a reasonable estimate of how many days it would take, if you tell them between 5 and 6 days and you do it in 4 you will be their best mate cos in their minds you have saved them money. If you tell them 3 days and it takes 5 they will bad mouth you, not to your face but to other people. (Bloody quoted me £X and charged me £Y)

Under promise and over deliver :cool:

Friend of a friend doesn't really qualify for "mates rates"

It is sometimes too easy for people to give you a recommendation as a cheap contractor.

Taking tiles off walls is never an exact science so don't paint yourself into a corner with the price.

I would charge them on a day rate and give a reasonable estimate of how many days it would take, if you tell them between 5 and 6 days and you do it in 4 you will be their best mate cos in their minds you have saved them money. If you tell them 3 days and it takes 5 they will bad mouth you, not to your face but to other people. (b****y quoted me £X and charged me £Y)

Under promise and over deliver :cool:

couldn't agree more.

Sponsored Links
Straight swap 350. I dnt take tiles off, do boxing etc etc as it always grows arms and legs, and you end up wanting to run a mile.

Who is going to replaster walls when its all fallen off or reqs re-boarding.
Or has this not been thought of.
Rare to not req any remedial work before re-tilingand i am always careful.

Who is going to replaster walls when its all fallen off or reqs re-boarding.
Or has this not been thought of.
Rare to not req any remedial work before re-tiling and i am always careful.

no, i did think of that, providine the walls are sound, they will get old adhesive scraped, if the wall deterioates, then it will be sheeted with gyproc- - (should i give an additional quote if i have to do this).
like i say it will be 350for swap, and up to 200 gpq if walls require attention, ?

oh and i hope this isnt a silly question,
until now i have previously bought the fittings myself and the cutomers have paid for this over and above the job price. is that right?

do u ask for anything up front

Add something to your written quote that allows room for error...

<<<

Terms: A £xxx deposit (third say) is requested prior to start of project. A sum £XXX to be paid on completion of stage 3. A further £XXX on completion of stage 6. Balance to be paid on completion of stage 7.

Stage 2 wall renovation estimate: £100 to £500 depending on assessment after tile removal. To be added to second payment as shown above.

Timescale estimate: Work will be completed within X working days of commencement. This time estimate allows for necessary drying times.

<<<

On expensive items you might wish to get the customer to purchase these in advance: tiles, bathroom furniture, shower, shower doors, shower tray etc. I know that one can make their 15 or 20% if you buy them but (a) it helps keep you away from the VAT threshold if an issue and (b) helps cashflow and (c) if anything goes wrong and customer refuses or is unable to pay then you are not stung (for some this could seriously hit cashflow and lead to big problems). With the deposit system as outlined above you are always covered.

very helpfull ,

but im not at the stage of worring about the vat man, ( it is a homer afterall)

:)

I prefer to get all the money at the end of the job, but if you dont want to be out of pocket i would ask them to cover the cost of materials ( obv plus your markup n them) then collect your labour charges at the end of the job.

I would take about 250 probably. 350 is my standard price, but haven't paid for materials for years as ive got a garage full of them :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back