HOMEWORK QUESTION 2

Sponsored Links
If GCS is at (0,0), as would be sensible in order that the position of one block south and one block east was represented by a grid location of (1,1), then the workplace is at (11,3). If GCS is at (1,1), then the workplace is at (12,4).

I assumed GCS at top left corner of grid, and although the grid is # blocks wide, there are #+1 vertical paths.

The workplace can't be at east 3 or east 4. You can't travel West so all the paths above and to the East of P are eliminated.

If GCS is at (0,0), as would be sensible in order that the position of one block south and one block east was represented by a grid location of (1,1), then the workplace is at (11,3). If GCS is at (1,1), then the workplace is at (12,4).
I assumed GCS at top left corner of grid
Why assume it? It's stated in the OP. :confused:

...and although the grid is # blocks wide, there are #+1 vertical paths.
Clearly.

The workplace can't be at east 3 or east 4.
And yet, it is.

You can't travel West so all the paths above and to the East of P are eliminated.
It appears that you're trying to find a route from P to GCS, whereas the question clearly asks for a route to work, i.e. from GCS to P.

Hi Softus.

Completely agree with your first two points, disagree with the third, and although my first stab at an answer was pants I assure you I'm not trying to find a route from P to GCS.

Sponsored Links
Softus, have never tried this before but hopefully the grid will appear, albeit on its side. If it works, you will see the actual grid from the paper! View media item 8337

You know, I don't feel so bad now when I said I couldn't even work the grid out......................................
:D

I cannot imagine a child of 12 being expected to find this answer by calculation....
Therefore surely we must be into patterns - hence excel, I guess a sheet of paper would suffice- as Bolo has more or less shown ...
If each grid intersection is numbered by a particular method - think Pascal, then it should be possible for each number to reflect the sum of routes to that spot from the start point... I bet we'd find just one instance of the figure 364, (maybe not at 3,14 ) ... this will be the 'home' point... I think it will be the only point with the value 364 due to the wording of the Q .... "...but that on January 1st 2010, he would need to repeat a route already used..." I see that as confirmation that 364 is the max number of routes he could take. ( IMO Questions for children should not include 'red herrings' I do not beleive this question does. Every part has a meaning. )
Why did I ignore, in my patterned spreadsheet a swathe of cells? Because I know that 3 from 14 has the same result as 11 from 14 ... 11 and 14 are not available together... If you see what I mean... However flawed !
:D :D :D As I said, drawing board.

Now to any 'node' the values are correct .. There is more to do, but
The next pattern - not there yet - But I will jump the gun at Gordo's workplace being at 11 blocks South, 3 blocks East.
The block distance to each intersection is shown.
GCS-2.jpg

My original did not use full path to intersections in the calcs. :cry:
And as always I reckon I'll muddle between Combinations and Permutations !

GCS-3.jpg

BTW Softus had it in his pix - well 11,3 is correct I reckon. Blondini was on track too...

:rolleyes:

Finally had time to work this backwards and with a fresh supply of used envelopes to scribble on I have deduced, (before reading the latest posts), that Softus has indeed excelled.

Now what if Gordon takes a 10 minute stop for a Bagel and latte?

P is at 11 blocks south, 3 blocks east.
I will jump the gun at Gordo's workplace being at 11 blocks South, 3 blocks East.
Doesn't seem like much of a jump to me. :confused:
My hearty congratulations Softus. Bearing in mind that the UK Junior Mathematical Challenge is set by 'The Acturial Profession' and is aimed at those gifted in mathematics, I am truly impressed. You have shown that the comment posted on the original question about the width of the river, was nothing more than jealousy and sour grapes. I speak of course of Namsag's post that claimed that your mathematical abilities couldn't even match those of a twelve year old. Do I hear a whispered apology from Namsag?

Sponsored Links
Back