HOMEWORK QUESTION 2

S

Shutpa

"The street system in New York is built up as a series of blocks. The section in which Gordon works is 10 blocks wide and 15 blocks long and Grand Central Station is located in the top north-west corner of the section. When asked where exactly he worked, he would not specify the location, but said that from Grand Central Station, starting on January 1st 2009, he could take a different route to work every day except Xmas Day (which he took off anyway), but that on January 1st 2010, he would need to repeat a route already used. If Gordon only walks either south or east, find out where he works.

Give your answer as a grid location from the station, for example P is 3 blocks south, 7 blocks east".

A grid 10 boxes wide and 15 boxes down is provided as a diagram but since I dont know how to copy and post such things, you would have to draw it out for yourself if you want to tackle this question. GCS is shown as a circle situated on the top left hand corner of the grid (not in the box) and the example P as a small square straddling the intersection of lines 8 across and 4 down counting the top and side lines of the grid as line number one.

Good luck!

Sponsored Links
Bloody hell!!!

(I can't even work out how to do the grid.............................. :oops: )

Whatever happened to Pythagora's theorem?

b****y hell!!!

(I can't even work out how to do the grid.............................. :oops: )

Whatever happened to Pythagora's theorem?

You could draw a box 10cm across and 15cm down and divide it into 1cm squares! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[....[....[....[....[....[....[....[....[....[....[....[....[....[....[
[....[....[....[....[....[....[..stuff it!

...boring! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
...counting the top and side lines of the grid as line number one.
Just one question - do you mean "...top and left hand..."?

P is at 11 blocks south, 3 blocks east.

...counting the top and side lines of the grid as line number one.
Just one question - do you mean "...top and left hand..."?

P is at 11 blocks south, 3 blocks east.

If you can imagine the box without the grid then GCS is situated on the point where the top horizontal line meets the left hand vertical line.

If you can imagine the box without the grid then GCS is situated on the point where the top horizontal line meets the left hand vertical line.
My question had nothing to do with GCS - I was pointing out your error in omitting the words "left hand" when defining the baseline for the example P.

P is still at 11 blocks south, 3 blocks east. If you want to define the grid location of GCS as (1,1), instead of (0,0), then P is at (12,4)

A stab - not far off I think.
GCS.jpg

364 combinations

P is 14 blocks south, 3 blocks east
This must be incorrect ... It seemed like a good idea - at the time - I'll leave it here... back to the drawing board
:rolleyes:

My question had nothing to do with GCS - I was pointing out your error in omitting the words "left hand" when defining the baseline for the example P.

P is still at 11 blocks south, 3 blocks east. If you want to define the grid location of GCS as (1,1), instead of (0,0), then P is at (12,4)

On the Q paper, if all other lines were removed apart from 8 across and 3 down, P is the point where they cross each other. BTW the grid is 10 across and 15 down.

On the Q paper, if all other lines were removed apart from 8 across and 3 down, P is the point where they cross each other.
You still haven't defined where you're counting the lines across from, so it's pointless referring to it unless you clearly state whether GCS is at (0,0) or (1,1).

BTW the grid is 10 across and 15 down.
That's what you said at the beginning, so I don't understand why you're repeating it. I suggested that you make the definition of the example P as being counted "from the left hand side", but you seem reluctant to ratify that, and we can't see the thing that you're looking at, so the example has served only to muddy the waters.

If GCS is at (0,0), as would be sensible in order that the position of one block south and one block east was represented by a grid location of (1,1), then the workplace is at (11,3). If GCS is at (1,1), then the workplace is at (12,4).

Sponsored Links
Back