Honda gcv135 not starting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
My lawnmower isn’t starting. I’ve checked the spark plug and all looks ok.
It looks like the throttle/choke isn’t fully open and I’m not sure if faulty or needs adjusting.
Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Has it run this year? Is the fuel old (it goes off, if it has been in there all winter empty it and try some new fuel)? Did you switch the fuel tap on? :) Automatic or manual choke?

Sponsored Links
These engines run fairly weak mixture wise, and if they can’t get full choke they’ll never start!
Usually it’s a cable adjustment issue, and often pulling the cable back against the clamp sorts it.
John

Try some easystart (ether into the air filter).
Modern budget fuel goes off quite quickly- because I'm lazy I use the good stuff (Shell Super) in the garden tools, it's still good after the winter and doesn't rot the hoses etc like the cheap stuff.

I don't know what you're buying because the cheap supermarket fuel I put in my chain saw still good after about five years, maybe more.
If you put it in 5 years ago it had much less ethanol in than the current cheap fuel.

Given that E3 was introduced about 15 years ago and E10 was only introduced less that two years ago, I wouldn't think so.
E3 has 3% ethanol, 97% petrol, E10 has 10% Ethanol, 90% petrol. 5 year old fuel had much less ethanol than current fuel, as you have demonstrated.

E3 has 3% ethanol, 97% petrol, E10 has 10% Ethanol, 90% petrol. 5 year old fuel had much less ethanol than current fuel, as you have demonstrated.
Well, for the past 15 years we've been a maximum of 5% not 3%. And as it's a maximum of 5%, that could mean that it was actually 3%.
Either way, it's nothing to do with that as I've used petrol that's been long stored for as long as I can remember, with no adverse affects.

I had a TR7 with fuel that was 3 or 4 months old and refused to start until we replaced the fuel and connected the coil ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back