Honeywell Electric Thermostat- need advice..picture included

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Hi Folks,

Can any of you please advise me whether this thermostat should be open or closed under electrical load? (I'm sure it's open by pipe temp and what's on the top of it with the A>B Open bit...?)

Problem is this is attached to retrofitted plumbing to a thermosyphon/gravity radiator which should operate under conditions such as a power cut(it's from a multifuel stove). I.e. it should be closed normally and when power fails(stopping the central heating pump) this is designed to open and to leak heat safely through this big radiator in our upstairs hall by opening the "circuit" to it, and prevent the thermal store from boiling.... But ours failed to work at all during a 26hr powercut last December. The installers FINALLY came around last week and I monitored them as they checked it out. Turns out their company had left the valve shut to the radiator(so no water was ever going to flow through it) and the thing wasn't even connected up electrically!! I've a feeling the thermostat is wrong and this is the reason it wasn't wired, as now they have done it and opened the valve this "emergency" radiator now has heat in one corner of it all the time, whilst 2 neighbours in identical houses ones work perfectly, and are stone cold but did work during the cut....

Can anyone advise me further? Absolute cowboys..... :evil:

Sponsored Links
The label on the valve actuator says "NORMALLY OPEN" so I assume this is a suitable valve for purpose the valve motor powers the vale closed, the spring return opens it again so that it fails to open ;)

Hi It's a "normally open" two port valve not a thermostat and it should normally be closed in operation of your system
I know that sounds contradictary but to answer your question it closes when power is applied and opens when power is removed
as boilerman has stated it "power fails" open

Ps this is a safety device and it sounds like your installers deliberatly disabled it :eek:

Matt

Ta for the replies lads. So it isn't the wrong one....I now cannot understand why this radiator has any heat in it at the moment, and more bizarrely why the cold side feed to it is the pipe that is hottest. Went round to a neighbours whose radiator does work and his(facing it) right inlet is ever so slightly warm while the left is stone cold. Our left is really hot and the right is warm. I've traced the pipes and it's definitley the cold side that is hot...WTF is going on with it?
The two pipes that come from the multifuel stove (28mm) both have T's off them to connect to this radiator with a valve on both(little red wheel ones whatever they're called) and the electrically controlled valve is on what should be the hot pipe.
I don't quite get the plumbing from the stove to the thermal store either. The stove has two outlets at the back near the top to take hot water from it to the stove, and two at the base presumably to return colder water to it. But for some reason near the top there's a pipe with wheel valve that connects the hot to the cold that is fully open. My neighbours one is the same though so his works but mine doesn't so is this relevant? Is it to balance the pipe flow or something or a safety feature?

Sponsored Links
Looks like it's not a plumbing issue...logic dictates that if it is letting water through it is either defective or not getting any power...a belt and braces approach of turning off the mains, disconnecting the valve cable in the choc box and connecting a table lamp has shown there's no power...traced it back to a junction box and it's a f***ing horror story in there...off to "electrics UK" to see what they can make of it....(with chief know it all ban all sheds... ;) )

.traced it back to a junction box and it's a f***ing horror story in there...off to "electrics UK" to see what they can make of it....(with chief know it all ban all sheds... ;) )

Do you think no one in here will make sense of it then?

God no Matt1e, sorry I never meant any offence mate, I'll post it up just thought as it had hit the junction box it was maybe best to get a sparks advice.
Apologies,

Here's the pic...the neutral is connected to nothing and the live is spliced to the grey of the thermostat cable..it's earthed btw

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back