Honeywell Optima Compact & Advent GSM Dialler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

had an alarm system fitted recently and have now decided I want a gsm dialler, the bloke who fitted the system quoted a price I cannot afford to do it so I thought I would give it a bash myself.

I have found and purchased the Advent Security GSM dialler which will work with my alarm and send it texts, for reference its this gizmo:
https://www.adventcontrols.co.uk/products/gsm-alarm-auto-dialer-sms-sender-for-burglar-alarm-dvr

It only needs 3 wires to run into my alarm panel namely +, 0v and bell- which seems easy enough.

Can I check what type of cable I could be using, is standard alarm cable ok?

In regards to actually putting the dialler inside the box, the optima compact has hardly any space inside of it due to a battery being installed:

E2qSzbX1Tbju51ooBPhX-GzQEVFWiB0ruBMhp5hZYEGpStmC5O0IyGQyDPt2sduzQFMZoyoLztQE3yqzNCob6YQY9ALgmL1TAZ8BSun3nYScm3ds-n7CnJJ72bI1dBLEUDTO-tU=w1629-h916-no

I have tried a few possible positions, and the only place I can put it and close the cover is as follows:

ov7i3bjut2pbD2j-nfOjiuozWwMHCGoj9TwPiO1GNnRoOeDiaAWUVpxAWZ9b8WuM8EB64ok2t1kiRJuJv9Fu6mwfBPGAgy2dpyZ7kcm3VQCGRVEtUBWZUtqE04cogYqTMHx6sx8=w1629-h916-no

It is tight but the lid does just about close, I have a sticky back aerial/antenaa that I can mount inside of the panel which would take no space and signal is good in the area.

My concerns are that its too close to the board of the alarm panel.

Any advice, I thought its best to ask on here so I dont cock anything up :)

Sponsored Links
You could fit the GSM dialler in a seperate enclosure adjacent to or below it. I take it your panel in the entry route as the button are on boards, you may not want the seperate enclosure if that the case.

Does this panel have EOL monitoring for the zones as the installer seems to have missed wiring the global tampers?

These panels are not end of line.

Is there a reason why the installer didn't bother with the global tamper?

Last edited:
Thanks for both replies. The panel is indeed in the entry route (hallway), exactly why I dont want to be putting a seperate enclosure next to it as it would be too easy for undesirables to just rip it off if they spotted it. I will give it a go and try and fit it inside the panel and update if it all works well.

I didnt know anything about the global tamper, is this something that should really be done ?

Sponsored Links
I didnt know anything about the global tamper, is this something that should really be done ?

The tamper circuit isn't critical, but its standard practice to wire it in. Its just monitors if sensor lids are removed or cables are damaged etc

The tamper circuit isn't critical, but its standard practice to wire it in. Its just monitors if sensor lids are removed or cables are damaged etc
I presume the OP paid a company to fit the alarm, if so I cant believe they have not connected the tamper circuit's especially as there are spare cores left in the cable, sounds like cowboys to me. I'd be insisting they return to complete the job correctly.

I presume the OP paid a company to fit the alarm, if so I cant believe they have not connected the tamper circuit's especially as there are spare cores left in the cable, sounds like cowboys to me. I'd be insisting they return to complete the job correctly.

Also if a company has disregarded this aspect of the installation due to laziness or inability what else have they cut back on or missed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back