Honeywell ST699 to Hive

The pump should be wired to heating on not hot water on.
The boiler should be wired to hot water on.

Sponsored Links
Hi Echo,

I just had a look at the junction box. The ST699 was wired precisely as:
And I have wired the Hive as follow:

ST699 -> Hive
L -> L (W.Brown)
N -> N (W.Blue & G.Blue)
3 -> 4 (G.Brown) CH on (goes to the pump)
4 -> null
5 -> null
6 -> null
7 -> null
8 -> 3 (R.Brown) HW on (goes to the boiler)

What I am missing? The HW-only does not fire the boiler.

Don't scratch your head, it is now working -- 3 & 4 were inverted.

Thank you so much for the help!

Do you know if an additional Hive receiver can be added to control the immersion heater of that system?

If it is wired like that and the boiler works when heating is selected, i can only assume an electronic problem with the hive. If the HW output was busted the heating wouldn't work either.

When you select heating do both heating and hot water green lights on the receiver light?
when you select hot water does the hot water indicator light?
Does the pump only run when heating is selected?

This type of system is the most simple form of control:

When only hot water is needed the unit sends a live signal to HW ON to switch on the boiler, the water heats and then circulates on its own because of the thermosyphon effect, and flows through the cylinder coil to heat the cylinder. The hot water doesn't flow through the radiators as the pipework, pumps etc. are to restrictive for thermosyphon to work.

When heating is selected the unit sends a live signal to CH ON to switch on the heating pump to circulate the water around the radiators. For the water to be hot the boiler also needs to be switched on at the same time, with a programmer set for gravity mode, it will send a live signal to HW ON at the same time to power the boiler. As there is nothing to stop the hot water circulating up to the cylinder it is not possible to have heating only with this type of system. It is possible to have heating and hot water separately on a gravity system by converting the system C plan with a valve (and cylinder stat).

As above, if the hot water and radiators work when heating is selected, there is no reason for the hot water not to work on its own.

Sponsored Links
Don't scratch your head -- it would now working.... 3 & 4 were inverted.
*Facepalm*
Do you know if an additional Hive receiver can be added to control the immersion heater of that system?
I guess it could if the output switched a meaty relay, but the additional hives are designed to switch heating zones controlled by a room thermostat. It could be made to work but it would be a bit of a fudge.

I wouldn't recommend it...

Hi Guys,

I know this thread is nearly a year old but have just bought a house and want to install hive and have a old Honeywell st699. Can anyone help me in regards to wiring the hive system to this old timer please.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20180507_182930.jpg
    IMG_20180507_182930.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 261

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back