Hoping for some advice if anyone can help please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a Glowworm Ultimate boiler with a large tank in a cupboard at the top of the stairs. I think it is classed as a thermal store. I receive mains pressure hotwater via this system and from what I understand appears to be a good set up. I have BG homecare but for the last few years they have told me parts are limited and now they are refusing to replace any water parts as they recommened I have a powerflush at the cost of £900. I had a new heat exchanger and hot water pump fitted last year and they have just replaced the gas valve and other electrical components, so there is not much that isn't reasonably new. This bolier is, accordong to BG 64% efficient so on that basis I had considered a new boiler next year when I get some work done in the house.
They have been out and advised I should keep the exisiting set up and just replace the boiler, they have quoted me £2795 for a Potterton Precision conventional heat only boiler, a Spirotech magnabooster, 1yr free home care and a power flush which will be gauranteed for life. If I continue with the homecare after the free year they will gaurantee the boiler for 10yrs.
The current boiler is in my integral garage on the outside wall so minimal building work or disruption I expect?
Is this price reasonable or over priced?
I have researched the various parts and what they would cost me to buy but with the gaurantees etc is it worth it or are they having my eyes out?
I live in the North East if anyone knows of a better company to do the job.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
That's interesting as I just took out a BG support contract and they never mentioned that some parts would not be replaced if needed!

you will save between £100 - £300 a yr in gas with a new boiler, ultimates are good old boilers & if it doesn't need changing i wouldn't bother, why don't you look at the price of a heat only boiler the size you req, spirovent is under £100 & you should be able to get a powerflush for £300, the boiler will be warrenteed for between 2 & 5 yrs, so add up the three items above plus the homecare cover (after the "free" yr) that you don't need for however long the boiler is already covered & then come back & tell us if you think it's overpriced & if you are happy paying that much for labour for two days work.

ps if you pay for homecare they will cover the boiler for as long as you pay anyway so the 10 yr thing is trying to baffle you with BS

(i'll give you a clue by going with a independant RGI you will prob save between £1k - £1.2k on the price they have quoted you).

Sponsored Links
CBF";p="2596987 said:
you will save between £100 - £300 a yr in gas with a new boiler, ultimates are good old boilers & if it doesn't need changing i wouldn't bother, why don't you look at the price of a heat only boiler the size you req, spirovent is under £100 & you should be able to get a powerflush for £300, the boiler will be warrenteed for between 2 & 5 yrs, so add up the three items above plus the homecare cover (after the "free" yr) that you don't need for however long the boiler is already covered & then come back & tell us if you think it's overpriced & if you are happy paying that much for labour for two days work.

ps if you pay for homecare they will cover the boiler for as long as you pay anyway so the 10 yr thing is trying to baffle you with BS

(i'll give you a clue by going with a independant RGI you will prob save between £1k - £1.2k on the price they have quoted you).[/quote

Thats exactly what I thought so I have been in touch with a few local installers through the following link
http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/homeowner/boilers/find-an-installer

I am looking at a heat only boiler and the guy on the phone gave me ball park figure for supply and fit with magnaclean filter and 7yrs gaurantee £1800 which sounds more reasonable getting a few quotes this week.

Cheers.

I have now had two quotes from local engineers via the Worcester accredited link posted earlier. Price for boiler, fitting, magnaclean and power flush is 1800.

I am just not sure which boiler to go for. One quote is for Worcester Greenstar 24RI and other for Valliant eco plus 418, doesn't mean a lot to me but the Worcester comes with a 7yr manufacturers guarantee and a 10yr manufacturers heat exchanger guarantee, any preference?

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back