Horrible Kerosine Smell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently moved to a house with oil heating system.
Everything operated fine.
I disconnected the oil supply to move the tank to do some construction work. (well the builder did)
When the supply was reconnected, my boiler would not fire up.
I have a Rellio RDB burner.

I pressed the red 'ignite' button around a dozen times to try and ignite the system but failed.
I read on the internet that the system needs bleeding by unscrewing the large hexagonal bolt which is underneath the red cover.
I removed this until I got a stream of oil and the burner ignited.

Since then, there is a very strong unbearable smell of fuel.
There is a dial on the side of the burner with a numbered dial.
This was set to number 3.
Thinking that the burner was running too rich, I tried reducing this to number 1 with an allen key but made no difference.
I therefore changed it to 5 and this also made no difference so put it back to the original setting of 3.

I don't know what to do next.
My next thought is to isolate the oil tank so as the burner runs out of oil and stalls again.
Then re-bleed without pressing the ignition system without pressing the red igniter button and perhaps 'flooding' the burner.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If you didn't catch all the oil when you removed the bolt it'll smell for a few weeks I'm afraid. Best advice is to get an OFTEC engineer out as your fiddling with the settings could well cause the boiler to produce excess soot and fail again. The longer it's left, the worse it could get - oil boilers are quite sensitive and need small, careful adjustments with the correct equipment to ensure they're set up correctly

+1 for Muggles advice. Kerosene is similar to diesel, it wont evaporate, instead it soaks into the fabric of the building and will stink for months. Doesn't take a lot to make a mess either.

In the event of spillage, sand or oil absorbency granules are useful to soak up the excess, just leaving a stain to get rid of. If you're not familiar with oil, I'd also get the tank checked over to make sure its ok, if that leaks then you really have got problems.....

Thanks for the replies gents.

I have turned the heating/water off overnight and there is no smell in the morning.
It only seems to be when the burner is running.
That is why I am assuming that I have flooded the burner by continually pressing the igniter switch then a continuous rip from the fuel line adding to the fuel.

Sponsored Links
If there's a pong only when the burner is running, any free kero will burn off very quickly in the firebox. Are you sure its not just exhaust fumes you can smell?
If the settings are way out there may even be visible fume or smoke from the flue itself.
Use some kitchen roll to check for leaks on the fuel supply pipes leading to the burner - especially the flexible one.
John :)

If there's a pong only when the burner is running, any free kero will burn off very quickly in the firebox. Are you sure its not just exhaust fumes you can smell?
If the settings are way out there may even be visible fume or smoke from the flue itself.
Use some kitchen roll to check for leaks on the fuel supply pipes leading to the burner - especially the flexible one.
John :)

I thought any excess would burn off quickly too but it has been almost a week now.
I already checked for leaks by placing a piece of paper under the burner and leaving overnight but it was dry in the morning.

There was no smell before the tank was disconnected which is why I am looking to adjust something.
All settings are the same as before the tank was disconnected and the only thing I have done is unscrew the large hexagonal bolt to bleed the oil

Get an engineer in you may have a slight leak on the brass stem.also vinegar is good for getting rid of oil pong just splash it inside the cabinet when it gets warm itl vaporise and smell better than kero
good luck.Bob

Get an engineer in you may have a slight leak on the brass stem.also vinegar is good for getting rid of oil pong just splash it inside the cabinet when it gets warm itl vaporise and smell better than kero
good luck.Bob
Looks like I am going to have to get an engineer.
Definitely no visible leaks though.

Great tip about the vinegar, I will give that a try.

Why did you remove the hexagonal extension.....The vent is the allen screw in the end.

Why did you remove the hexagonal extension.....The vent is the allen screw in the end.

I had no idea what to do so used google to find out how to bleed it and found that the hexagonal extension is used so removed it to bleed the air/oil.
I know realise there is a vent screw on the end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back