Horstmann E7BX hot water controller

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Horstmann E7BX hot water controller is coming on at 22.30 and only goes off at 08.00 which are not the times I have for offpeak from my electricity supplier. This means I am heating hot water all night. Does the E7BX only get the time signal from the electricity meter or can it get the times from elsewhere? The electricity company is saying their meter is working correctly.

Sponsored Links
This means I am heating hot water all night.
Not if your cylinder or store has a thermostat, which will turn off the supply when it reaches target temperature. An immersion heater, for example, warms about 1 litre per minute, so a 120 litre cylinder is heated for about two hours if it is fully cold; less if it is partially hot.

If there is no thermostat, it will boil, which is highly undesirable.

Also read here:
http://www.horstmann.co.uk/products/heating-and-hot-water-controls/boost-controls/e7bx

My cylinder does not have a thermostat.
Do you know where the E7BX gets its signal from? Is it only from the electricity meter or are there controls inside it?

Sponsored Links
There are no timers in it.
If the switch is in 'timed' position (on) then if the off-peak is not on neither is the immersion.

If the boost switch went faulty and was on permanently then so would be the immersion.

Thanks. Picture below.
elec.png

photo of the cylinder and the cap of the immersion heater please, so I can claim my £5

Will have to go home and take another photo.

The E7BX red light is on between 22.30 and 08.00. If the "timed" button is down (i.e. not off) between those times I can hear that the immersion heater is on and it is heating the water.
Between 08.00 and 22.30 I have to turn the boost dial to heat the water.
Electricity company are claiming it is not a problem with their meter.
I don't see how it can't be as presumably the E7BX only gets is signal from the meter.

It is not permanently on as the immersion only comes on between 22.30 and 08.00 unless I turn the dial. So I don't think it can be a faulty boost switch.

Yes. This is a photo I sent to electricity company to show that light was on and boost was off at 22.30 in the evening when it should have been off.

the immersion only comes on between 22.30 and 08.00 unless I turn the dial.
So what is the problem you want to resolve?

Presumably the cylinder is not boiling or using 29kWh of electricity every night?

The problem is that my immersion heater is on all night when it is only meant to be on during the off peak hours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back