Horstmann E7BX hot water controller

Out of e7bx one ca.ble to the box which controls night storage heaters other I thin to immersion.

I know the night storage heaters are on but I can't tell what times they are storing the heat. I've stil got them on as I live near benson which is coldest place in England still frosty most mornings

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The light on the BX is off, so - if it comes on at 1030 then that will be the off peak supply whether or not you move the switch to 'timer' (badly named) position to actually turn on the immersion.

If you turn on the boost now does the light come on?

If you turn off the switch on the box that controls the storage heaters and then turn on the boost timer, does the boost light come on?
It's not clear to me how the "normal rate" electricity gets to the EBX7 box.
Of the three tails from the meter, 3 is neutral and splits to go to both consumer units. 4 is presumably "normal rate" live and goes to the top CU. 5 is presumably "off peak" live and goes to the right CU. I don't see any way for the "normal rate" supply to reach the right CU and hence the E7BX box.

Yes if I turn off the storage heater box and turn on the boost timer the light on the e7bx comes on . There's a cable left hand top of e7bx which goes behind the board and I think then going up to the main fuse box. Earlier I said this wire was going to the immersion but now i think it's going to main fuse box

My current best guess is that your cheap electricity actually does start at 22:30.
To check this, it would be great to understand what the meter display is telling you. But I've not been able to find e.g. a manual for this meter.
You might like to watch it carefully at 2230 and see if something changes.
Did you say your bills are high?

Assuming there is another hidden cable going to the immersion, then I would say everything is in order -

apart from the off-peak supply times - this is the responsibility of the energy supplier.

Electricity company are coming again next week. Problem is they have already changed the meter ( a couple of weeks ago) so they say that can't be the problem.

Yes bills are high this is why I started complaining again this year. They said I was on correct tariff as I use all my elec at night. I said that's because immersion heater is on all night.

Just been on Rtis website and it says I am getting a weak long wave signal here due to problems with droitwich transmitter. So guess that could be a problem

They said I was on correct tariff as I use all my elec at night. I said that's because immersion heater is on all night.

The immersion heater will turn itself off when its thermostat detects that the water is all hot, and it will then use only enough energy to keep the tank warm; this is not much for a well-insulated tank. So the amount of time it's on for doesn't matter much.

I suspect the storage heaters may be the greater problem. See how much energy you're using overnight now, and compare with what you use once the summer eventually arrives and you turn the heaters off.

Just been on Rtis website and it says I am getting a weak long wave signal here due to problems with droitwich transmitter. So guess that could be a problem

Yes, if the meter isn't getting a strong radio signal I can imagine that it might use some default time period instead. I would hope that something on the display would indicate that, but we don't have the instructions that might explain that.

Although they call it a boost indicator neon, it comes on with both supplies.

upload_2016-4-21_16-56-41-png.97653

Absolutely right. And that may be skewing effervescent's concept of what is actually happening here. The neon wil come on during boost AND at off peak times.
What I would do is to remove the connection of the 24-hour supply (connections 3&4 on the diagram*).
That would eliminate the boost function , temporarily.

Then @Effervescent you need to check at what times the indicator neon comes on. It shoule come on at the off-peak times as told you by your supplier. If does not then you need to get them to fix the problem.
If the times are correct then the E7BX is faulty and need replacement.

*Making sure you isolate the 24-hour power supply first, of course!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back