Hosepipe ban - enforceable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys n gals - I`m feeling all Victor Meldrew today due to United Utilities proposed ban on using hosepipes - comes in to force tommorrow morning

Is this actually legally enforceable? - the reason i ask is that UU are now a private company.
In other words we pay them to provide services to us the consumer - in this case water should come from my tap when i turn it on!
Can UU as a private body rely on old 1991 legislation (think it was 1991)?
If they can then do we have a right to a reduction in our bills?
Why is it our problem that they cannot supply the service we pay for?
- especially when round here most of the underground resevoirs (storage) were sold off for building land!!!

OK rant over now lets get serious.....

Please discuss!!!!!

Sponsored Links
they are only obliged to provide water for use in the home, you don't pay the extra for using the water for irrigation purposes do you?

if you were on a water meter you'd pay for every drop you use rather than unlimited use
why should you get to waste all the water on your lawn when the guy next door has none left for his cup of tea?

I was trying to point out that they are now private companies.
-they make massive profits every year yet re-invest very little
- they do not fix leaks
- they have sold off most of the old (covered type) of storage resevoirs for building land and not replaced them

Only 2 in our household, 7 next door - who uses more water?

I pay for water to come out of my tap full stop. I have never in my life (I am older than most) been asked to sign any form of contract that states what the water in my tap should and should not be used for and I never said that I watered my lawn (although I do since you asked).

When Water was a "national" company I would totally agree with you but as I said it is now privatised.
Let me give you an analogy...
I go to buy a Mercedes, they tell me times are hard and they do not have many left and so here is a Fiat for the same price.

I am not trying to start a row here just trying tongue in cheek to discuss what cheeky bu__ers they are and how as usual the great brittish public will accept it

I'm in the south east and it hasn't rained for what seems like months, but as we had so much rain in the winter no hosepipe banned planned for us.

He's a thing though, in my old house I was not on a water meter, now I am. Guess what, my bills are cheaper now because of the amount of water we use (family of 4.)

Sponsored Links
As with many things. You're only doing wrong if you get caught.

And saying it's not fair to water your lawn if the guy next door has a cup of tea... What about a family of 5 having a bath each every day and leaving none left for me to water my veg?

Unfortunatly, humanity seems incapable of rational problem solving on a national basis.

They can't stop you using a watering can, it's what I have to use down the allotment.

...there is always a way round things, including ignoring the ban altogether but that still misses the point -

- All water companies are now private companies who appear to be suggesting that we continue to pay full price for a reduced service whilst hiding behind old legislation set up to protect a nationalised company.

I guess if everyone ignores the ban and you all run out of water, they won't be able to charge you, but you'll have to buy bottled water, so I don't think this will be costs effective. I think you might all get fined too.

no one has ever been prosecuted under the legislation for it and yes the comapnies still have the right to enforce it as they are still stautory undertakes under the legislation.

if you can use a watering can, use a hosepipe to fill it rather than keep trudging back to the tap..
then leave the hose on to keep it constantly filled.. :)

actually ColJack is correct - it is legal to do that!

also you can fill a swimmingpool by hosepipe too - it has been suggested that using the pool to water the garden via a pump and pipe would however be illegal

....crazy aint it

was hoping for more mischevious responses - instead everyone has taken the thread quite seriously ;)

Go and buy several hosepipes and daisy chain them together to the nearest petrol station's car jetwash facility. The ban doesn't apply here, plus you'll get to water your plants more quickly and clean down the patio at the same time :idea:

I did that the other day ( well actually i filled a couple of water barrels I have from camping ) and they had a go at me..

it's a cheek I know but the water there is free and I can top up my water butts that way without costing me ( on a meter now.. ).. :)

Im sure I heard on TV ages ago that the hosepipe bans only restrict you from using your hosepipe for certain uses.

Somethingdaft like, you can use it to wash your car but not to water your garden.

But dont quote me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back