Hot light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys.
This evening I noticed that a downstairs light switch felt very warm to touch. It's for the upstairs landing light so has a switch upstairs and one down. It's just a standard on/off switch and not a dimmer.
I'm going to assume this isn't normal. What could cause this and should I switch the lights off at the main distribution board.

Sponsored Links
It could be a loose connection.
Does it only get hot when the light is on and cool down when it is turned off?
Personally I'd turn just that light off, until it can be looked at.

It could be a loose connection.
Does it only get hot when the light is on and cool down when it is turned off?
Personally I'd turn just that light off, until it can be looked at.

Thanks for the reply.
Yeah it's only when it's on.the light had been on for quite a few hours too. After I switched it off it cooled down and hasn't been hot since. I was wondering if replacing the switch would help.

Turn off the lighting circuit at the consumer unit and unscrew the switch.
You may be able to see brown scorch marks near one or more of the connectors. Post a photo.
It may or may not be necessary to replace the switch, depending on how bad it is.
Possibly more difficult is the wire; you need to cut off the burned part, but that could be difficult if there is not enough slack.

Sponsored Links
It could be a loose connection or damaged switch contacts. For safety reasons I would avoid using until sorted out. Personally I would change the switch for new and clean off any burnt to insulation/conductors prior to replacing.

The circuit will require isolating before any attempt on making a require or establishing the issue.
As the switch is a two way switch, when replacing switch, make a note and take pictures of the location of each cable and how the switch plate is marked up at the terminals.

When you but the new switch, ensure you buy a TWO WAY switch, most are now anyway but best to check

Cheers for the advice guys. I will take it off tomorrow and have a look inside , take a photo and post it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back