hot tub - Can I use existing outdoor power point?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies - very ignorant with electrics.
I have bought (but not yet received) a used hot tub. It will no doubt be 16-30amps. I am aware that this means an electrician will need to be called.
The garden has one of the below from a previous owner. It says on the front that it should have a 30mA RCD if it is outside (which it is).

So, from looking at the chunky cable I was wondering if this can be utilised for the hot tub?

Can anybody please advise if this will be possible, and if so, what would need to happen. (Believe me, I will not be attempting this myself as I cannot even wire a plug).
Could the hot tub be wired and used directly into that box? Would that box have to be removed and then the cable used for the hot tub? How can I tell if the RCA is on that circuit? If the plug can be used, how could I extend this (i.e. if I wanted the hot tub to be 10m away).

Apologies for all the questions - best to ask most in post #1

Thanks

P1020528.jpg

P1020527.jpg

Sponsored Links
Your hot tub will be way more than a 13amp plug & socket can supply.

The existing cable to the external socket is too small to support any sort of hot tub.

You will need a new circuit provided, with an RCD if one is not already available in your consumer unit.

You need a registered, experienced electrician. Don't try and mix electricity, water and people unless you know exactly what you are doing.

Thanks for the swift response - it means I can carry on as originally intended :)

Sponsored Links
Your hot tub will be way more than a 13amp plug & socket can supply.

Mine isn't. The 3kW heater/pump unit even came with a moulded 13 amp plug with integral RCD.

The existing cable to the external socket is too small to support any sort of hot tub.

Depends on the hot tub. Like I say, mine is 3kW and is perfectly happy on an RCD protected 13 amp supply.

You will need a new circuit provided, with an RCD if one is not already available in your consumer unit.

If the existing outlet is RCD protected at the consumer unit, then maybe you don't.

All depends on the hot tub.

Potato/potato.

We don't know EXACTLY what the OP has bought, so sweeping generalisations are not helping him.

For info, mine is a full sized "proper" hot tub which uses a solar collector to maintain the water temperature most of the time and just has a 3kW unit for top-up heating and the bubbles.

For info, mine is a full sized "proper" hot tub which uses a solar collector to maintain the water temperature most of the time and just has a 3kW unit for top-up heating and the bubbles.
When you fill it with cold water, how long does it take to bring it up to the sort of temperature which most people would regard as satisfactory for a hot tub?

We have done many hot tub installs, the majority having a 30amp supply.

There have been a few which have been smaller 13amp jobbies, although still the same sized tubs. They often kill the heat elements in preference of the air blowers/circulators.

There are several models which are on sale with the selling point being "13amp supply, ideal for hiring out".

When someone hires one and fills it with cold water, how long does it take to bring it up to the sort of temperature which most people would regard as satisfactory for a hot tub?

When you fill it with cold water, how long does it take to bring it up to the sort of temperature which most people would regard as satisfactory for a hot tub?

Obviously it depends on the weather and the time of year (number of hours of daylight), but when it was last emptied a month ago it took about 36 hours to get to between 37 and 40 degrees without using the electric heater.

It's about 1700 litres capacity BTW.

When someone hires one and fills it with cold water, how long does it take to bring it up to the sort of temperature which most people would regard as satisfactory for a hot tub?

Why would you fill it with cold water? I'd fill it with hot water from the combi.

Why would you fill it with cold water? I'd fill it with hot water from the combi.

Because by the time you've ****ed money away slowly making luke warm water with the combi, it will've gone cold again?

Mine is a 3kw, seats up to 6 and takes less than 24 hrs to get to temp from cold fill [around body temp, 35 degrees], run it 2hrs per day to maintain temp and filter.Run it longer in winter but only takes an extra hour or so to get it to 40 degrees, though only the wife likes it that hot. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back