Hot water, cold radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a horstmann 3 way valve and can only get the radiators hot by holding/wedging the arm across to the side. If I release pressure, the heating stops working. Please help - wife complaining!!!

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the motor has gone. But it is a Horstmann so swap it for something a bit more reliable. I use Honeywell and the Honeywell V4073A 3 Port Motorised Valve should work OK. Cable colours are standard.

I believe the head design on the Horstmann changed so unless you known if yours is the current model , just buying a replacement head is risky.

As a temporary:
You should be able to manually lock it in the mid position for venting purposes. Often just a case of press it across against the spring then press it down toward the pipe as it tries to return and it should latch onto a keep.

That will hold it open but the boiler will only run while your hot water cylinder needs heating. If you have a cylinder stat it may shut it all down

Just in case it is not the valve can you test the room stat and programmer to make sure they are trying to switch the CH on?

Edit I'll leave this one to MANDATE

Providing the wiring has not been tampered with and power is present on the valves 'white' wire when CH is selected, it most likely the motor that needs replacing.
There are four sets of micro switch contacts in the actuator head and one of these sets switchs power from the white wire to the motor, so there is a slight chance the contacts have failed, so check motor first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back