Hot Water Cylinder Keeps Blowing a Fuse despite new element

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For an emergency I wanted to use my immersion heater, but it blew the fuse on the consumer unit. So I changed the element and still it blows the fuse on the consumer unit, which is fitted with 15 amp. And to my surprise why not blowing the 13 amp on the plug. Does anyone have any input for this problem, it would be much appreciated.

many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a cable or wiring fault between consumer unit and the switch fused spur.

Or is it plugged into a socket?

Tony

Is the cable the correct size - 2.5mm T&E?
Is it a home run - no spurs?
Is the breaker 16A min. Type-B MCB? Check Breaker for burns, pits or looseness.
Does the IH have a cut-out Stat? Sometimes best to simply replace the Stat.
To test, turn in-place Stat to lowest & listen for a click.
Fitting a 20A DP neon FCU is best.
Check all wiring connections for tightness & correct terminals.

Simply as a test: you could plug into the ring, sidestepping the in-place wiring and any devices, & see what happens next? Sparkies on here might have different views on this.

Thank you very much for your advice/suggestions. Tomorrow I will check the rest of it. One thing I do know is that I'm using the correct size wire(2.5 mm) and it is plugged to the socket instead of fused spur. One thing to note is that yesterday during the day around 3:00 pm it on for almost an hour and a half without tripping the fuse in the consumer unit.

This evening when 3 computers were on, washing machine, television, fridge - maybe it was an overload? But again, why not tripping the 13 amp plug, instead of the consumer unit?

Again, thank you.

Sponsored Links
Have you opened that plug, and checked the fuse, and tight wiring to the correct terminals?

This evening when 3 computers were on, washing machine, television, fridge - maybe it was an overload? But again, why not tripping the 13 amp plug, instead of the consumer unit?

Again, thank you.

Well all those plus the immersion heater is considerably more than 15amp, but only the immersion heater goes through the 13 amp plug.

Well all those plus the immersion heater is considerably more than 15amp, but only the immersion heater goes through the 13 amp plug.
... assuming, that is, that there are no un-mentioned multi-outlet extension leads in the equation :)

Kind Regards, John

Guess what today at 5.00 AM I turned the immersion heater on for about 45minutes without blowing the fuse. why is that? maybe because there is big load on the circuit in the evening with the other appliances on. any suggestions are welcomed.
Many thanks

not blowing the 13 amp on the plug
You have an immersion heater that is plugged in to a 15A circuit supplying sockets!!??? :eek:

maybe because there is big load on the circuit in the evening with the other appliances
No surprise it trips then. The total load will be the immersion plus everything else that is on the same circuit, quite likely to exceed 15A. This is why immersion heaters should be on a separate dedicated circuit and not connected to a circuit supplying sockets.

And if you've still got socket circuits on 15A fuses then your installation is probably well past it's best-by date.

He may have a radial fetish, or a ringmain allergy :eek:

Regards, DS

or an RCD :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back