Fuse Blowing Regularly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a washing machine and dryer both plugged into an extension lead. A 13 amp fuse keeps blowing on the extension plug! Is there anything I can do?

:mad: Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Get a sparky to install a couple of sockets so you dont have to use an extension with two 13amp appliances on one 13 amp fuse!

Check that both your washer and dryer has a 13a fuse, but as above it's better to get a new socket fitted. They still need 13a fuses in both (anything with an earth needs 13a fuse)

Sponsored Links
Check that both your washer and dryer has a 13a fuse, but as above it's better to get a new socket fitted. They still need 13a fuses in both (anything with an earth needs 13a fuse)

What?

Anything with an earth requires a 13amp fuse? Where did you get that nonsence from??

And what odds does the fuse in the appliance matter to this problem? They are not blowing, because the individual appliance is not overloaded - the combination of both of them on one extension lead is overloading the extension lead, and hence blowing the extension lead fuse.

What?

Anything with an earth requires a 13amp fuse? Where did you get that nonsense from??

And what odds does the fuse in the appliance matter to this problem? They are not blowing, because the individual appliance is not overloaded - the combination of both of them on one extension lead is overloading the extension lead, and hence blowing the extension lead fuse.

Anything that supplies heat from a thermostat needs a 13amp, i'm a PAT tester and deal with this on a daily basis, the rest i missread

I'm not aware of any law that requires anything with a thermostat to be equipped with an earth and a 13A fuse. As an example, how many hair straighteners do you see with a two core cable? They have an element and a thermostat, but in this case it's a class II double insulated appliance and should not be earthed, nor do they consume 3kw or require anything even close to a 13A fuse.

Also, if we're going to be pedantic, I haven't seen many appliances that supply heat from a thermostat :D

I have not got my PAT testing BS close by, and thank god I do not a huge amount........never heard of all appliance which have an element requiring a 13amp fuse.

Even so - This still doesn't help the OP's question ;)

I hate to think what items now have a 13A fuse in which shouldn't have if you've tested appliances on a daily basis for however long!

How about an aquarium heater with thermostat? (normally 2 core 0.5 mm sq flex)

Low wattage kettles, toasters etc designed for caravans and camping...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back