Hot water cylinder non-standard size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I fitted a shower pump the other day...

I purchased a salamander s-flange (1" fitting), as reccommended in the salamander instructions.

I got round to that part of the job, and realised the outlet on the cylinder was actually a 3/4" (22mm) nut and olive fitting :confused:

I searched screwfix and b&q etc, looking for an adapter that i could screw on to the 3/4" thread to accept my 1" fitting - but they don't seem to exist.

So for now, i put a short piece of 22mm pipe into the cylinder and it's currently working fine... I'm guesssing that shortley i'll get a phone call about air problems.

What can i do? I don't want to fit an Essex flange, as i don't want to drill the cylinder. And I can't come off at a 45 degree angle because of the other pipework.

Sponsored Links
sounds like the 22mm x 1" mi fitting.

compression20to20mi.jpg

you have to take that out of the cylinder to fit the surrey.

I can't just take it out tho, it's part of the cylinder :(

I would have to drill it out :O

Sponsored Links
I'd imagine that 'Seco' is on the money about there being an adaptor already fitted but if it's really a 22mm compression direct onto the tank then you could possibly make something up.

How about a 15x22x22 tee with a short length of 22mm pipe out the bottom to connect to the tank and a 15mm pipe right through the centre to form a dip tube going to the pump and the unpumped DHW taken from the 22mm on the side?

I know.. it's more than a bit Heath Robinson but if you've really no other option..

you say its a 22mm olive and nut.
then it won't be part of the cylinder it'll be a mi fitting screwed into the cylinder.

does it look like this.

hwcylinder.jpg

That's what you would think... It's what i hoped when i noticed it, but it's definitley not :(

A few modern cylinders have the fittings as part of the cylinder, all braised together.

Sounds like you could have one of these. An example of one of these is the Plumb Center Centercyl.

If this is the case you need to fit an essex flange to the side at the top.

I understand what you wrote, but not your diagram. lol

I suppose this may be my best option ;)

Right i've made a diagram of how it's going to look...

How will this effect the flow to the rest of the house? Any thoughts or advice will be apreciated :)

236521696532185bda0a180bf13e627a.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back