Hot water issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys I`m new to this forum (but have been reading with interest for a long time).

I do have a quick question to ask the "people in the know" on here.

Here is a bit about my background, I have a Vailant boiler (acting as a heat-only boiler), running on a Y plan system with a hot water cyclinder and heating. If I use hot water only, it`s perfect, same with heating only, but if I want to heat both at the same time, the cyclinder takes all the heat and I get a couple of slightly warm rads (the hot water is taking the easiest path I suppose).

Is there any way around this? Such as restricting the flow through the cyclinder?? As it`s very frustrating.....I came back from a cycle ride frozen and wet a couple of weeks back and had the boiler running the heating and the immersion on to heat the water for a bath which to me is insanity when the boiler is capable of heating both at the same time!!

Please help!!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
10035_a.jpg

:cool:

I thought it had to be something along those lines, will it be ok on HW only though with a restrictor on it??

its common practice.even megaflows premaid cylinders have this.oldish ways was to have 22mm flow 15mm return.

forget that comment. just stick a gate valve,lock shield.on the return.its not a full restriction till you basically close it off completely.but in terms its there to cause a flow restriction, so the path of water will reach the parts you want it to.catch my drift.

Ok cheers, that makes sense will fit one and see how it goes, I can`t believe the system was fitted without one as it obviously would never work as it is, but , hey ho!!

A quick short term 'get by' would be to set the HW to come on outside of the CH timings. The cylinder should be full of hot water, then the full effort from the boiler can go round the CH when required.

Just a thought but how is your system controlled ? Are you using the built in timer and the VR 61 module as this is default set to give HW priority and must be changed in the menu to allow CH and HW to run together hope this helps.

Just a thought but how is your system controlled ? Are you using the built in timer and the VR 61 module as this is default set to give HW priority and must be changed in the menu to allow CH and HW to run together hope this helps.

Unfortunately no, I`ve got an external timer/controller. It and all the other control gear (thermostats, motorized valve etc) are all made by Salus, unless they use a similar setup to the one you describe?? I`ll have a look at the model number a bit later if that`s of any help.

Thanks to everybody else for the advice too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back