Hot water not going to tap?

He came back and tightened it but it's still leaking and I can see that it is leaking from on top of the top nut. What needs to be done to stop this? because it seems just tightening it won't do it

Sponsored Links
New olives?

I have spoken to him and he said it sounds like the existing piece of copper pipe the valve was reconnected to. Does this sound right? Also how much will a new bit of copper pipe cost me? It must be about 6". You can see it in the picture above.

Sponsored Links
It's possible that he didn't prepare the copper properly, I.e. Cleaned it, ensured the surface was free of scoring and bumps and deburred it if necessary.

But that's his fault.

15mm copper is very cheap but I wouldn't expect you to have to pay a penny more to get this job done properly.

The olives are the little metal things that go under the nut. They compress as you tighten the nut, and that makes the seal. It's possible that he's suggesting the old piece of copper may be half inch rather than 15mm, but that shouldn't be an issue. It sounds as though he's tightened it, and then gone rather than waiting and checking for leaks.

Looks like he's taken out the gate valve and turned the stub from the gate valve to the flexi around, the nuts are the opposite away round now from the original. If he's used the old original nuts and olives that were already on the pipe, then it needs a wrap of PTFE. It isn't difficult. It would rarely be water tight if it's all been re-used without tape or thread.

Get him back, he should know that and should be sorting it out, would only take 2 secs FFS. If he won't pop in and sort it then he shouldn't be calling himself a plumber TBH :mad:

He did say he was flat out last time he was here but did say keep an eye on it. And he has said he'd come back. Bit dissaponted this is ongoing but at the same time glad he hasn't just ignored my calls and has been willing to come back.

Thank you for the input guys. I mean genuinely I am very grateful.

When, (if!), he comes back again he will probably have an off cut of pipe suitable to replace that short stub. Those valves also have a habit of not turning fully off and the screw slot becomes worn. As suggested earlier go for the one with a handle fitted. Usually much more reliable and far easier to operate.

£70 that was for the valve and the tap fitting. (Which I supplied)

Maybe he charges so much as he normally has to go back to each job 3 times

It was somewhat tongue in cheek. I don't think £70 would be unreasonable for a job done properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back