Hot water tank installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a new hot water tank and pipes installed a few months ago, and looking through the installation guide, there are few things I don’t quite understand.

The cylinder is a Hot Spring “Dual Fuel” unvented type, with a 300 litre capacity. It has two coils, the second of which connects into a solar panel. The wiring diagram for connecting up the boiler, programmer, thermostat etc shows a 3rd motorized valve, fitted in line with the solar panel pipe, to stop circulation if the stat temperature is exceeded. This hasn’t been done and I’m assuming it’s because the solar panel controller has it’s own pre-set safety limit, which automatically switches off the pump, stopping circulation. Would I be correct in assuming this?

The installation guide states that the expansion vessel can be fitted to either the top of the cylinder or onto the cold water inlet pipe (after the expansion relief valve). If the capacity is 200 litres or more, the vessel must go on the inlet. Mine is fitted to the top of the cylinder. Could this be a problem?

Lastly, should the cold water feed to the shower, bath, taps etc be taken from the balanced take-off point? Mine isn’t, and on the connection diagram, where it indicates the BTO point, my plumber has circled it and written ‘BTO ?’. Is this ok?

Out of interest, I’ve seen some PRV’s with a 3rd pipe connected to them. What is this for? The PRV I’ve got looks as though it could have a 3rd connection, but it’s blanked off. I initially thought it was the BTO point but the connection diagram shows this as after the PRV, before the check valve.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back