Hot water temp is 40 Degrees - Ideal Mexico 2 Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having trouble showering because the water is lukewarm and not very comfortable

I measure the temperature from the hot water tap and it is 40 degrees which is suprising

The 2 port valve is set to manual so is heated from the boiler - If I turn the boiler on for a good few hours the temperature does not increase beyond that 40 number -

I know I can turn up the boiler but because I do not have a three port valve the radiators also get very hot but the hot water does not

The cylinder is faily new and is a stainless steel

Am I just going to have to accept using immersion heater or turn the boiler ot max heat - Its an Ideal mexico 2 so not cheap to run

Sponsored Links
Is the cylinder ,unvented ,under mains water pressure ?
40 degrees C coming from tap ? is it the shower that doesn't reach that temperature ?

Reactions: CBW
cylinder is vented gravity fed - taps are 40 degrees which is just about ok

if i use the mixer tap i get 38 degrees which is cold - grohe have said the water needs to be hotter to mix properly

hope that makes sense

Boiler thermostat needs to be high enough to raise the cylinder temperature to approx 60 degrees - is it set to 60 degrees? What is the boiler thermostat set to? Do you only have one motorised valve? If there’s 2, then I’d say one is passing or something is plumbed in wrong.

Sponsored Links
Boiler thermostat needs to be high enough to raise the cylinder temperature to approx 60 degrees - is it set to 60 degrees? What is the boiler thermostat set to? Do you only have one motorised valve? If there’s 2, then I’d say one is passing or something is plumbed in wrong.
The boiler thermostat is operated by a dial at the front of the boiler - It is set to 3 at the moment - I can turn it up to 4 or 5 but I wanted to keep the heating on for longer and at a lower temperature rather than a high temp for short period

I have only one motorised valve which I have set into manual mode

• Thanks
The boiler thermostat is operated by a dial at the front of the boiler - It is set to 3 at the moment - I can turn it up to 4 or 5 but I wanted to keep the heating on for longer and at a lower temperature rather than a high temp for short period

I have only one motorised valve which I have set into manual mode
Get to know your system. You seem to lack proper understanding how the system operates.
Has the boiler been serviced?

so basically my water is too cold and i dont want to turn the thermostat up to make it hotter ..
Unfortunately the last miracle i heard regards water is when a guy turned it into wine

You should still be getting more than 40C hot water even if the boiler thermostat is only set to half way.

What about the thermostat on your cylinder. What is that set to?

Could it be linked to your previous query from Saturday about the return pipe on your cylinder being stone cold?

Im really sturglgling to make sense of this but I will try wise people on this forum who have always had a lot of enthusiasm -

The flow pipe is piping hot but the return is stone cold even though the hot water cylinder has the immersion switched on so should not be drawing too much heat from the flow.

There is an airlock valve at the top of the installation - What else can I investigate? The pump speed has not changed. The cylinder was changed six months ago and I am not sure if this ever worked to be honest. The previous cylinder was much older and the return was always hot

Its 28mm reduced to 22mm to the flow and a large 3 inch return

Is it possible to have an airlock in the hot water coil itself?

Is it possible that the pipework to the flow is piping hot but from radiant heat from the main flow and the two port is faulty? I put the two port valve in manual overide mode but still no luck so I am quite sure it is not that

Any help much appreciated

You should still be getting more than 40C hot water even if the boiler thermostat is only set to half way.

What about the thermostat on your cylinder. What is that set to?

Could it be linked to your previous query from Saturday about the return pipe on your cylinder being stone cold?
As suggested, poster needs to get the boiler serviced/ checked.
This is a DIY site but clearly the boiler and system operation are alien to the end user

cylinder is vented gravity fed - taps are 40 degrees which is just about ok

if i use the mixer tap i get 38 degrees which is cold - grohe have said the water needs to be hotter to mix properly

hope that makes sense
38degrees cold ? That’s close to max temp for showering comfortably .

Ok so I made sure the two port valve was in manual mode again and the hot water temp at the tap is 45 degrees which is fine (I thought it would be 60 degrees but maybe I am mistaken)

The shower is still getting to only 38 degrees which is not hot enough to have a toasty warm shower in this weather - It also gets cold after five minutes because the temp reduces down

Why would a grohe shower come out at only 38 degrees - Is it water presure difference where cold pressure greater than hot ? Both hot and cold is being fed off a stuart turner pump but I can see difference in flow rate from tap which is weird

Do you have a thermostatic valve fitted to the shower?
These are set to prevent someone being scalded but can be altered to increase/decrease temperature output.
Minimum temperature into the hot side of the valve must be 50º but better if higher to prevent bacterial growth etc.
(I am not a plumber but have worked with these valves).

Hi I have a thermostatic shower mixer - Its a grohe type - It seems that the hot water even if at 50 from the tank is still not hot enough for the shower to correctly prooduce a nice hot shower

I turned up the boiler setting to see if the water will get hotter - Lets see - I will post results soon if that works

Hello again

So boiler is on max temperature and has been running for 90 mins - The hot water from the tap gets to 45 degrees - It looks my immersion is broken which is why this issue came up

I have a gas boiler with a pump - The main flow pipe is 3 inch steel and the flow for the cylinder is in 22mm - I think not enough hot flow water is getting to the cylinder which results in the water only being lukewarm or not 60 degrees!

The two port valve is set to manual and the return is reasonably warm but not piping hot like the flow pipe is

Honestly this has caused me so much headache with kids unable to shower in peace and gas engineers wanting to reppipe the whole house (Yes I know it should be done but anyway)

1705694294729.jpeg

• Thanks
The cylinder thermostat isn’t connected for 1, what temperature is it set to?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back