House Alarm, Back-up Battery Problems?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house alarm has started playing up. It is about 10 years old, has 3 zones etc, and a back-up battery. Last night it went off for nothing even though it was not set and the "Tamper" light was illuminated. I could not get the stupid external siren to stop until I killed the power to the alarm control panel and disconnected the back-up battery, I also noticed that the control panel was very hot. After a little bit I plugged the battery back in and put the power on and it was fine. However when I came downstairs this morning I could smell a slight burning smell, I touched the control panel and it was very hot. I decided I was not that keen on this so decided to kill the power and disconnect the back-up battery as I really did not want it to cause a fire or something whilst I was out. When I disconnected the back-up battery this time, it was then that I realised that this was the thing that was red hot. I took the battery out and found it was really hot and one of the cover things on a cell was starting to melt

I hardly use the alarm, only when I go away, but the blinking lights on the external box when it is dark is probably a good chav detterent. At the moment I am completely broke so getting the company out is not good at the moment, unless it is more credit card debt So basically I was thinking of trying a new battery as these are about £11.00, they are a 12V lead acid battery with some kind of valve in them I dunno if these mess up ever? Or is it more likely to be a charger problem? The battery has never been changed, the alarm just seems to have a circuit board in it, so I am not sure anything could be changed but the lot Thought maybe putting a new battery in was the cheap option and monitoring it for a while, I guess I have only lost £11 if it is something else. Just never come across a battery failing in this manner, but then again I know nothing :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
be sure to buy the SLA battery, Yuasa seems to be the best but there are other well known brands. They can be kept on standby indefinitely. Ten years is beyond expected life. I believe they are usually swapped at 5 years, or 3 if in hot place.

Ok cheers mate I will try a battery and monitor it, it does have a Yuasa NP2.1-12 12V 2.1 Ah battery, I was just going to get the same.

Sponsored Links
dont bother searching, get a Yuasa battery, life expectancy is only 5 years

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back