House extension quote seems exessive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
looking to get a house extension built on top of a ground floor extension that is already built

its roughly 9 metres by 4 metres so 36 squared metres

this will add 2 extra bedrooms to the house.

the foundations on the orignal extensions to my knowledge will hold the weight of the additional floor so no ground work needed.

the timber roof joists are 8.4 on the orignal extension so flooring wont be needed.

just looking for 2 windows one in the front and one at the rear possibly a flat roof.

simple design block and brick.
dont need and doors or internal walls plastering or electrical or plumbing work

i was quoted 34k with materials this seems exessive for the work

can some one advise if this is normal cost and how much whould the matririals for this kind of job cost i have some pics of the current extension

Sponsored Links
A bit excessive but probably not by too much i would say. Have you had any other quotes. If not you'll need some. Are these based on approved Building Regs drawings or Planning drawings or just a discussion or what? Anything not based on good drawings is an estimate not a quote BTW. Pitched roof that adjoins the existing presumably?

based on approved drawings and a similar job carried out by the builders

it will be a flat roof

Sponsored Links
does anyone have a ball park figure for materials for a similar job.

wondering if it may be better hiring a bricky in for the block work and a roofer or joiner for the respective work seprate.

And what about all the messing about with the existing roof and maintaining water tightness

i can get a roofer to take down the existing roof and get the flat roof fitted be flashed and felted and sealed

i reckon labour for the bricky will be about £6300 thats working on the assumtion it will take 45 days about 8 weeks on the day rate of 140.

brick and block will cost £947 pounds assuming 2015 bricks and 336 blocks for the total area of the wall.

thats the majority of the work and it still falls under 10k

how can this justify 34k

You have a lot to learn fellow, but we are the lads to teach you, providing you accept our fixed price of £6000 labour only brickwork and block work 2100 bricks and 36.5 m2 blockwork, no scaffold or waterproofing of existing extension.
Even though you are 150 mile away, we will gladly send you up a first class 2 and 1. Let us all have an early Christmas. :D :D
Regards oldun..

You have a lot to learn fellow, but we are the lads to teach you, providing you accept our fixed price of £6000 labour only brickwork and block work 2100 bricks and 36.5 m2 blockwork, no scaffold or waterproofing of existing extension.
Even though you are 150 mile away, we will gladly send you up a first class 2 and 1. Let us all have an early Christmas. :D :D
Regards oldun..

And do it all in 3 days :D never mind sending a gang I would go do it myself and stay 5 star for a week :LOL:

sorry as a tradesman I'm going to step in and say this price seems ok. Items not included on your dream list are : Insurances , waste, additives , sand cement, making good below, the probability of additional structural work . Project management so ppl and materials arrive when the should and someone to ensure things stay covered up and dry etc , solo trades hired by you will not make allowances for follow on trades etc. Get a couple of quotes by all means but the cheapest isn't always best look at past works and go with your gut. I know loads of local traders / companies in my area and I can assure you there are more rogue customers than builders!

Hey Whambham--
I'd stick to costing the 'day job' if I was you..With the greatest respect-
You really have a lot to learn.
What exactly do you do for a living ?.
I agree with 'i'd do the brickwork in a week' comment. But- it's not just the brickwork--that's the easy part.

No mention of the most important part of the job (the roof).

Yes- you can get some chancers in to do it at the price you want (what is the price you want to hear- by the way?).

You get what you pay for bud.

sorry as a tradesman I'm going to step in and say this price seems ok. Items not included on your dream list are : Insurances , waste, additives , sand cement, making good below, the probability of additional structural work . Project management so ppl and materials arrive when the should and someone to ensure things stay covered up and dry etc , solo trades hired by you will not make allowances for follow on trades etc. Get a couple of quotes by all means but the cheapest isn't always best look at past works and go with your gut. I know loads of local traders / companies in my area and I can assure you there are more rogue customers than builders!

Hey Andrew- you have got things weighed up- TOTALLY.

It's all too common though, isn't it?

"Oh, can you just move that door over a bit", "Can you just build it 100mm bigger", "Can I just have a few extra sockets"

And they never realise the amount of extra work involved

And yet, they'll book the car in for a £200 service, and not bat an eyelid

As previously said i would get a couple more quotes.

£34,000 does sound a lot.

To give you some perspective a new driveway can easily cost you £5,000.

A new car can cost £20,000. And it will depreciate very quickly.

If you know a good reliable trustworthy bricky get him to quote you for the shell. If you're using soft blocks for internal then chasing out for electrics shouldn't be too big a deal. Radiators ? Plastering ? Window sizes/prices ? skirtings ? doors and architraves ? Knocking through existing walls for access ? Ceilings ?

Building regs will normally want you to dig a test hole to expose the footing/foundations of the existing extension to be sure they are substantial enough to take the weight of an extra room and roof on top.

In an ideal world tradesmen would be waring bib-'n'-brace overalls with a wooly tie and polished shoes, be charging tuppence ha'penny an hour, be restricted to using the back entrance of the house (careful!), be looking at his shuffling feet whilst being addressed by the master of the house etc etc.

It never ceases to amaze me that some soft hands office bod making £50k per year wafting his mouse around, begrudges a hard grafting builder a modest income.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back