householder wiring a circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If a house holder wires up a circuit ie;- shed and runs armoured cable from shed to house then called a qualfied electrician to wire in armoured cable to consmer unit in shed and consumer unit in house and the test and issue a certificate would this be permissable.

Sponsored Links
If the route and method the cable was installed was visible for inspection, compliant and the design current and voltage drop was acceptable.
Yes

But it would be very wise to get an electrician on board prior to you starting the work.

PS. What about the circuits that are to be supplied from the distribution board in the shed?

Thanks Prentice boy,
forgot to mention would 4mm hi-tuf cable be ok to run to the shed to power 4 sockets (ring circuit) and two lights from a garage consumer unit.

Sponsored Links
Sorry I meant hi-tuf to run from house to consumer unit in shed and 2.5 and 1.5 twin & earth to power 4 sockets and two lights in the shed

Would depend on the method of installation and voltage drop!
You need to get an onsite visit and advice from the electrician that is going to complete the terminations and testing.

Sorry I meant hi-tuf to run from house to consumer unit in shed and 2.5 and 1.5 twin & earth to power 4 sockets and two lights in the shed

For a start the lights only need 1.0 mm twin and earth.
You probably don't need a consumer unit in the shed. Just run the lights via a switch fused connection unit.

Thanks for your reply. I was going to put a consumer unit in the shed just to be on the safe side as i will be putting in 4 switched sockets possibly more
including a pir light on a switched fuse unit.

The cable that will run to the shed. At the house end, where and how will that attach to the electric supply?

Thanks for your reply
through the wall into the Consumer unit in house into a spare mcb i presume.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back