How best to connect up a pair of ovens in a kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear experts, I'm due to install a new kitchen at home soon and have just finished the plan. We will be fitting a pair of under-worktop ovens and I just wondered how best to connect them up. I know I need to run a specific radial circuit from the consumer unit (probably 16A) and install a double pole switch and oven connection unit but can I connect up both ovens to the above or do I need to double-up on the radial circuit, DP switch and oven connector? I've not bought the ovens yet but expect they'll be about 3Kw each. Advice would be much appreciated. Oggie.

Sponsored Links
Check the oven instructions first for any specific requirements. Depending on what they say....

Either run a dedicated radial circuit for each oven, as you say, rated for 16A min.
Or use a 32A rated conventional cooker circuit and use a dual outlet cooker connection unit.

If both ovens are less than 3kW, then they could be connected using 13A plug and single socket (NOT a double socket), or a couple of FCU's (better), but that would be my least preferred option.

New wiring would be notifiable in the kitchen.

Dear experts, I'm due to install a new kitchen at home soon and have just finished the plan. We will be fitting a pair of under-worktop ovens and I just wondered how best to connect them up. I know I need to run a specific radial circuit from the consumer unit (probably 16A) and install a double pole switch and oven connection unit but can I connect up both ovens to the above or do I need to double-up on the radial circuit, DP switch and oven connector? I've not bought the ovens yet but expect they'll be about 3Kw each. Advice would be much appreciated. Oggie.

I'm afraid from your comments you don't have a clue about what you are about to embark upon.
Firstly, this is notifiable work and you must speak to your Local Authority Building Control and pay their fee before you start work.

Next re-work your 'plan' because it is wrong.

Work out what the total load is of your ovens - you cannot guess because in part the load determines the size of the cable and the size of the MCB. Then apply diversity to your calculations. Then think for the future.

Although you might get away with 16Amp MCB it would be more appropriate to install at least a 6mm2 T&E cable protected by a 32Amp MCB and with the additional protection of an RCD.

Take this through a Cooker isolation switch (one without a socket on) if it has a socket then forget about your 16Amp MCB and then through to this dual appliance outlet plate.
http://www.alertelectrical.com/prod/1022/click-45a-easyfit-dual-appliance-outlet-plate.
Then conduct the appropriate dead and live tests, fill out the appropriate certificates and get your LABC to sign off the installation for you.

After that connect to the ovens with the cable size suggested by the oven manufacturers to dual outlet plate.

Or do the job properly and get an registered electrician in.

I'm afraid from your comments you don't have a clue about what you are about to embark upon.
That's a bit unfair.

There was nothing stupid in the OP's sugestion.

A 6kW cooker, with diversity, could be connected to a 16A circuit so why can't he do as he suggested?

16A MCB, One Cooker Control Unit (for safety), one Cooker Connection Unit to which both ovens are connected.
No sockets, no plugs, no additional fusing - dependent, of course, on actual rating.

I would run a larger cable which may be good for the future.

Sponsored Links
That's a bit unfair.
There was nothing stupid in the OP's sugestion.
I didn't say it was stupid - you said that - I said he didn't have a (clue) full understanding of what was involved.
A 6kW cooker, with diversity, could be connected to a 16A circuit so why can't he do as he suggested?
I didn't say he couldn't, I simply added to his understanding by explaining the impact of a socket on the calculations- (I forget to mention cable run lengths and insulation)
Although you might get away with 16Amp MCB it would be more appropriate to install at least a 6mm2 T&E cable protected by a 32Amp MCB and with the additional protection of an RCD.

Take this through a Cooker isolation switch (one without a socket on) if it has a socket then forget about your 16Amp MCB and then through to this dual appliance outlet plate.
16A MCB, One Cooker Control Unit (for safety), one Cooker Connection Unit to which both ovens are connected.
No sockets, no plugs, no additional fusing - dependent, of course, on actual rating.
I'm sure on reflection you wouldn't have wanted him to follow this advice without adding the need for additional protection and giving him an indication of the cable size to use.
I would run a larger cable which may be good for the future.
I agree and this is something I mentioned to the OP.

Thanks for all the constructive suggestions. I'm really not that clueless!

The new kitchen is part of a much bigger job (extension, new bathroom, ensuite, cloakroom etc) and hence is under Building Control plans etc. I just wanted to get a fair idea of what was involved before I get "professionals" in to quote for the kitchen electrics so I know what I'm asking for and I don't get ripped off.

Thanks

Oggie

Thanks for all the constructive suggestions. I'm really not that clueless!

The new kitchen is part of a much bigger job (extension, new bathroom, ensuite, cloakroom etc) and hence is under Building Control plans etc. I just wanted to get a fair idea of what was involved before I get "professionals" in to quote for the kitchen electrics so I know what I'm asking for and I don't get ripped off.

Thanks

Oggie
You are now clued in ;)
Seriously, I assume you are having a gas hob by the way - if its an electric hob then start the calculation again - in any case I would go for a 6mm2 - 32 Amp MCB with RCD protection and a cooker switch with socket. Have both ovens connected together at the dual appliance plate outlet.

I would go for a 6mm2 - 32 Amp MCB with RCD protection and a cooker switch with socket. Have both ovens connected together at the dual appliance plate outlet.
If the ovens are supplied with flex, it will likely not be rated above 16A therefore a 32A MCB will not protect it.

Then apply diversity to your calculations. Then think for the future.

:?:

Why apply diversity then "think for the future"?

Either rely on diversity to allow smaller CSA & CPD or allow for expansion and fit oversize cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back