How can I get a completion cert

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had some plastic cladding removed and bricked in its place around the property.

Now the Ins company asking for a completion certificate.

Can any surveyor or the builder issue a certificate

thanks

Sponsored Links
Not clear whether the insurer means a letter confirming completion of the job or a formal completion certificate issued by building control. If the latter, and you needed to, but did not, go through building control you may need to follow the regularisation process which is more costly. The government planning portal has helpful info.

Blup

How did the insurance company get involved? And in any case, if it was cladding, it wasn't either structural or a thermal element in my thinking, anyway, so no need for BC

Sponsored Links
That is potentially Part L1 work so would need building control involvement and certification for the insulation

This being a Timber framed property, the insulation is within the Stud frame with felt weather protection. The cladding is cosmetic with no structural or insulation value
Originally the property had wood cladding with a high maintenance issue. 95% of surrounding properties are converted to upvc and 15% to brick/tile.

Does this still need documentation etc ?

thanks

This being a Timber framed property, the insulation is within the Stud frame with felt weather protection. The cladding is cosmetic with no structural or insulation value
Originally the property had wood cladding with a high maintenance issue. 95% of surrounding properties are converted to upvc and 15% to brick/tile.

Does this still need documentation etc ?

thanks
The cladding is more than cosmetic in any such timber framed building, and Part L1b applies.

You need to consider whether the wall can be insulated whilst the cladding is off. Whether it can or not is part of that consideration, and whether the consideration needs to be done before or after paying the council building regulations fee is another part.

If you can get the council to agree that no application is required, they may be willing to issue you a letter to that effect.

Thanks.
There was no insulation in the cavity between the existing brick wall and felt protected rockwool insulation within the stud timber frame.
When I’ve renewed plasterboard in kitchen or bathroom from tililing etc. you can clearly see the rockwool insulation packed into the stub cavity in the outer walls.

The purpose of Part L is to improve on insulation when relevant works are carried out.

Blup

I would just cancel that policy and buy another one. On the new policy just state cladded. No need to say you've replaced it.

Would be easier and cheaper than BC.

Ok. Had my Completion Cert issued by applying to the local council.

A warning to others:
If you consider removing wood or upvc cladding and to brick up as a replacement as I did. Its not just a thing to do as a job to be done. Even removing wood cladding for upvc cladding.
A application for a Certificate must be made for a surveyor to inspect the work being carried out.
As any changes can effect the insulation values of the property and may downgrade the value and other factors with gales etc.
Mainly with any major work done without a Completion Cert. it can effect the sale proceedings of the property in future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back