how close CU to Gas meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planning kitchen: how close can Consumer Unit be to Gas Meter. Preferably both in same 500 base unit. Thanks

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't want my consumer unit in a base unit regardless of how close to the gas meter!

Is the consumer unit, gas meter or both/neither moving?

Minimum is 150mm, so both in a 500 base unit will be impossible.
One or preferably both must be moved to a more suitable location.

I know what you say but when bungalow was built (60's) there is only 500mm centre to centre between them although that is horizontal. Most have them in same unit but a tall one with circa 750mm from top to bottom of other.

Sponsored Links
Minimum is 150mm, so both in a 500 base unit will be impossible.
True, if they were side by side. However, if one really wanted a CU in a kitchen base unit (I certainly wouldn't!) I would think there would be enough height (usually ≥800mm, and the gas meter will presumably be on the floor/bottom) for the CU to be above the gas meter (with >150mm between them), wouldn't there?

Kind Regards, John

Cut out + meter same 500mm but under CU . Recently had new meter (with built in isolator) which is now less than 500mm as we had it put to side of cut out.

Agree not ideal in kitchen unit but nowhere else for it go.

I wouldn't want to be the one to maintain that cu. I hate working in cupboards! Glad I'm not a plumber!
My in-laws (no longer with us) bought a 1980's new-build bungalow. The CU (a Wylex Standard - about the only good thing about the job!) was is a corner base unit in the kitchen. I think it must have been installed before the kitchen was completed since, even when the cupboards were emptied, it required major acrobatics to even get to 'touch' it, let alone 'maintain' it! I suspect that the position was probably chosen because it was just on the other side of the wall from the external meter cabinet (shorter/cheaper tails!)!

Kind Regards, John

Several years ago my nephew and his wife (who was registered disabled) had a conversion to their kitchen including a wet room done by Manchester city council. Where did they fit the CU? In a bottom cupboard! My nephews wife could not get down to even see it. After me leaving a note to the contractors i received a note saying the tails were not long enough. I suggested they run them out the top of the enclosure instead of the bottom, Next week the CU was in a top cupboard.:rolleyes:

If there is space, it would be permitted to have them closer than the 150mm rule, providing you created an insulated barrier between the two items. You will also need to consider separation between gas pipes and electrical cables, which would normally be on a domestic gas supply at leasts 25mm, unless again another insulated barrier was formed between the two components.

BS6891-2005

8.16.2 Separation of installation pipework from other services

Where installation pipes are not separated by electrical insulating material, they shall be spaced as follows: a) at least 150 mm away from electricity meters and associated excess current controls, electrical switches or sockets, distribution boards or consumer units; b) at least 25mm away from electricity supply and distribution cables.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back