How deep can plaster be

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have re-sheeted my bathroom. I placed my bath against the new wall and although the bath butts against the plasterboard at each end, (joint in the middle of bath) there is a gap of about 10mm in the middle tapering out after about 400mm each.

Can I level the wall by slapping on the required thickness of plaster ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You should have sorted this before you plaster boarded it - that's the reason for using plasterboard in the first place - to get the walls straight.
You can use something like Hardwall to fill the gap but is really shouldn't have been necessary.

Agree with joe that you should have sorted the levels out when fixing the plasterboard rather than trying to level it out now. You can’t use finishing plaster (Multi or Board Finish) to fill out 10mm! Personally I’d take it down again & level it properly so it just needs a skim but if you intend to go with plaster as a level, Bonding is probably more suitable than Hardwall on a low suction background such as plasterboard.

If you don’t finish skim at the same time, make sure it's well sealed with PVA before you attempt to skim or it’ll suck like hell & look like the dog’s breakfast!

As Joe/Richard say the best plan would be to correct the boards.

However, if you want to go down the ‘filling route’ and are intending to do the work yourself then invest in a featheredge if you don’t have one. As Richard says, apply bonding plaster to the area to be filled and use the featheredge to initially level it all off.

Assuming the wall is going to be tiled anyway, and you’re going to tile down to the bath, you’re likely to get a few mm’s grace buy varying the grout depth.

Sponsored Links
Should have said earlier but you shouldn’t use ordinary PB behind the bath; if water gets into it, it will quickly disintegrate! Behind baths & in showers you should use either Aquapanel or tank it if you want that tiling job to last!

I have used moisture resistant PB and tanked behind where the shower enclosure will be. I have yet to tank the bath area.

I am getting a plasterer in to discuss the job and take his advice. I took down tiles and PB and wrongly assumed the walls would be OK when I replaced the PB.

I went against my own advice which is don't make assumptions.

I have used moisture resistant PB and tanked behind where the shower enclosure will be. I have yet to tank the bath area.

I am getting a plasterer in to discuss the job and take his advice. I took down tiles and PB and wrongly assumed the walls would be OK when I replaced the PB.

I assume that's tanked over the PB & behind the tiles & not tanked behind the PB! ;)

I assume that's tanked over the PB & behind the tiles & not tanked behind the PB! ;)

that's right

Thats the plasterer plastered my wall straight, excellent job. The tiler has a perfect wall now on which to tile.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back