How deep for concrete for drive way

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I néed to extend a paved area of my drive way for a car just wondered how deep I should dig I’ve seen the concrete needs to be 4in deep but how much for type 1 ?

Sponsored Links
Agree 100mm but its compaction that will be the key to its longevity and not crack!! wacker plate, moisten the surface ( not to wet) and bang it down again and again.

Sponsored Links
Sorry to hijack the thread but what is this about not allowed concrete driveways anymore?

Are you allowed concrete drives anymore?
Not around here.

Just wondering as my mother and father have an issue with cracking/sinking at the bottom of their original 1960s poured concrete driveway.

There is talk of replacing it but with concrete due to the longevity.
I wasn't aware concrete driveways weren't allowed anymore, just thought it was not considered fashionable hence everyone going with block paving these days.

Sorry to hijack the thread but what is this about not allowed concrete driveways anymore?

Just wondering as my mother and father have an issue with cracking/sinking at the bottom of their original 1960s poured concrete driveway.

There is talk of replacing it but with concrete due to the longevity.
I wasn't aware concrete driveways weren't allowed anymore, just thought it was not considered fashionable hence everyone going with block paving these days.
If you lay a new non-permeable drive more than 5sqm (concrete, normal block paving etc) you can’t discharge it into the existing drains, unless you apply and get planning permission to do so.
Instead, you need to dig a soakaway or equivalent, and drain it to there. Flood prevention measure.

Most driveways have to be permeable and comply with Sustainable Urban Drainage System requirements (SuDS) these days and will require planning. Different councils/authorities have different rules on what spec is required but highly recommend you check. I have known driveways having to be ripped up as a result of not following the local authority requirements.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back