How detailed to plans for builder need to be?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After much too-ing and fro-ing with ideas I have finally decided that building a single storey extension on my side return IS the way to go.

I have read previous posts about employing architects etc - and as the extension amounts to 1.5m x 3.3m I am not entirely sure it warrants it as I am happy to liase with building control myself.

However I do what to make sure that I get consistency when shopping about for quotes.

So how detailed should I make the plans for the prospective builders to look at?

All help gratefully received.

Hx

Sponsored Links
However I do what to make sure that I get consistency when shopping about for quotes.

So how detailed should I make the plans for the prospective builders to look at?

a detailed quote requires a detailed drawing.

you can introduce as much ambiguity as you like. just give all the potential contractors a plan drawing and hope for the best. :rolleyes:

you can not have the best of both worlds.

The alternative would be to do this as a sort of 'design and build' whereby you just tell the builders what you want, or what the extension must have, and then let them quote. Then do it on a building notice with no plans

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back