How do I bridge from tiles to a lower wood floor, please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a tiled kitchen floor which drops down 2cms to a wooden floor (at the doorway). I imagine I need to make a threshold of some sort, has anyone done this and could you give me any ideas the best way to do it? I would like to use a fairly wide piece of wood so the drop is not too severe. What would be the best wood to use, please? The wooden floor is a suspended tongue and groove.

Thanks in advance.

Kate the mate

Sponsored Links
I'd use a nice straight piece of oak, 20mm x 75mm, with a planed tapered edge so your feet feel a ramp rather than a step...should do the trick! John :)

Thanks Burnerman. Can I just ask you, would you butt it up to the tile or route a lip so that it overlaps the edge of the tiles. I hope this makes sense! Also, how would you fix it? I am a novice here so your help is much appreciated.

if you manufacture it yourself i'd suggest butt it up to it cos if you make the lip too thin it could split , then use some similar tile grout to take up any gap and feather it out. ;)

Sponsored Links
You could use a router to form a rebate that would protect the tile edge, and this would work for sure but naturally enough that would require some thicker hardwood to start with.
Youy could fix the new timber down with 5 countersink woodscrews if its going straight onto your tongue and groove, or together with plastic plugs if its onto concrete at that point.
Also consider what covering is going to be on your T&G floor...you could use the new trim strip to hold carpet down, for example....just a thought!
Cheers John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back