how do i deal with Tiling over a manhole....?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Ok in the pic is my bathroom project ultimately the bath os coming out to make way for a shower and the toilet and basin are staying in situ ...

My question is that i would like to ceramic tile the floor (have tiled before walls etc this is my first floor attempt) but how do i deal with the manhole cover

False floor? timber frame and then plywood/hardboard then Wedi board?
Seal the manhole and use leveling compound?

.... the drain services our property only and we have another manhole for party drain just outside the bathroom window that you can see in the pic

any advice welcome and thanks in advance

Terry :)

Sponsored Links

Ok in the pic is my bathroom project ultimately the bath os coming out to make way for a shower and the toilet and basin are staying in situ ...

My question is that i would like to ceramic tile the floor (have tiled before walls etc this is my first floor attempt) but how do i deal with the manhole cover

False floor? timber frame and then plywood/hardboard then Wedi board?
Seal the manhole and use leveling compound?

well if you really dont need it, and i would triple check that youve answered your Q there, seal it up, i think the only thing is levelling might not be good enough unless you do the whole floor at a bigger height than normal, maybe overboarding would be the better option 12mm ply, unless your really dedicated then rip the whole floor out redo it in 25mm ply.

.... the drain services our property only and we have another manhole for party drain just outside the bathroom window that you can see in the pic

any advice welcome and thanks in advance

Terry :)

Thanks for your reply

Ok so if i go down the 12mm play route does that mean i would just glue or screw it to the floor or put in a baton framework first which presumably would make the floor that much higher and more unstable?

regards

Terry :D

This is one of the rare occasions that I would recommend using a backer board. It doesn't need to be rigid because it's a solid floor so you can just stick down some backer board. This if course assumes that you don't need access to the manhole.
If you do need access, you can get access covers that have a recess that you need to tile. Not the best looking things to be honest but they do the job.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply

Ok so if i go down the 12mm play route does that mean i would just glue or screw it to the floor or put in a baton framework first which presumably would make the floor that much higher and more unstable?

regards

Terry :D

no similar to backerboard but you screw it down every 20cm so no need for batons, unless you feel that way inclined of course.

Ok so this is where we are at now... Shower installed all went brilliantly to be honest even tho i had to employ a plumber to do the waterworks for us! however we now have an issue with low water pressure to the shower

Before we removed the bath the pressure ti the bathtaps was truly like the amazon oh baby it flowed! since we have had the shower installed we cannot work out why we dont seem to have nearly half the pressure it seems that we had coming through the taps :eek:

Now whilst we had our bathroom out of action we also had a visit from the central heating engineer as out pump packed up! so he installed a new pump for us. So my problem is why the hell dont i have aqequate pressure to my bathroom anymore? any ideas?

I should just add our water is supplied from a storage cyclinder in the kitchen which is upstairs..our bathroom is in the basement so surely gravity should be aiding the flow pressure anyway? could the central heating engineer have twiddled with somink to decrease the pressure or maybe the plumber? am well confused because if anything i thought tha tgiven our amount or pressure prior to the install of our new shower i thoughth the pressure would now be too much not too little!

any ideas greatly recieved

Thanks in advance

Me :D :LOL: [/img]

Hi there,

The pump that the central heating guy chnaged will have had no affect on you water flow rates.

Chances are your problem with flow rates will be because your new shower valve will have been designed to work off high pressure systems, ie combi, un-vented or pumped systems. NOT off gravity systems like yours.

Only way round it is to get a pump fitted to your pipework.

Rico

Agree, the new shower head is also a lot higher up (less head of water from cold storage cistern) and is also huge which exaggerates the lack of head.

Before shelling out on a pump check that the isolating valve was fully opened after he installed the shower - does not affect pressure with no flow but does when you have flow through it (i.e. shower on)

This is the exact shower that was installed and i think by reading the product specs then you guys may be right that we need a pump to assist the flow

http://www.bathempire.com/p4030091.htm

What kind of a pump am i looking for? approx estimate of installed cost including labour......ish?

Thanks in advance

Me

Off the top of my head £500 + VAT.

You would need to be able to get access to the pipes supplying the shower though, otherwise you need to go for a whole house pump which is not ideal.

ok thanks mate

just had a look here and am wondering which type of pump i would need ?

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/shower-pumps-58-0000

forget to say can still get access to the pipes thats fine as the side panel to the shower has not been tiled yet so can just remove the panel for access, there just seems to be a vast array of choices as far as pumps are concerned?

Thanks in Advance

Me

These are pretty good pumps for the money:-

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/stuart-turner-showermate-20-1655-18625

Your particular shower requires a minimum pressure of 0.5bar which equates to a minumum of 5 metres of head, this is why your shower is struggling to produce a decent amount of water.

A costly mistake selecting that shower without a pump

Edit: I assume that the airing cupboard is upstairs? this is where the pump should be sited therefore the shower pipes need to be routed up there if this is possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back