How do I gain the qualifications?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I would like to know how do I achieve a qualification in electrics so that I am a qualified electrician.
I would like to point out straight away that I'm not looking for a quick 3week course but want to do it properly.
However I am in full time employment and cant afford to take time off work to do it.

thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
check with you local college they will give you the best advice, most colleges will do a 2 or 3 year part time course with the option of 2 days a week or 2 evenings a week to gain the C&G 2330 level 1 - 3

Sponsored Links
After reading the other thread it seems that the C&G 2330 is the qualification to take.

How will this stand me when I come to the end of the course for getting a job, i.e. will other electricians take on people purely with this qualification or would I need to do something further?

As I side note, does anyone know of any colleges in the north east which provide this course, I've looked at my local colleges that I can think of but none provide the course

Thanks again

As you are going to be an electrician you'll need to start to think for yourself, a bit.

But I'll help you along the way.

Go to the City & Guilds website. The page for the 2330 qualification is here http://www.cityandguilds.org.uk/cps...C7/cgonline/hs.xsl/1775.html?search_term=2330

There's lots of lovely downloads about the quaklification.

Also on that page there is a box to help you find a training centre.
I guess you know your postcode? Type it in and there will appear a list of colleges etc that can get you in the sparky groove.

Pls forgive the sarcasm, Mr Darling hasn't helped.

New College Durham is that near you? If so try them out.
You'll need 2330 Level 2 and 3 you can do these without being the trade.
Then some employers may require 2381/2 and 2391/2

New College Durham is that near you? If so try them out.
You'll need 2330 Level 2 and 3 you can do these without being the trade.
Then some employers may require 2381/2 and 2391/2

Yeah durham is within driving distance, i'll give their site a look, thanks

Get on 2330, some colleges want you to be 'gaining experience in the trade' at the same time, but any excuse will do most the time. 2 nights a week about 6 hours in all, plus study time, and you do need to study and that comes from someone who did a degree in mathematics BEFORE doing 2330, 17th and 2391.

Toward the end of completeing 2330 level 3 get yourself onto the 17th Edition course as well, you should by then have enought knowledge to walk through this. Tell the misses thou, you'll be out 4 nights a week!!! yippeee!!!!

Get matey with the other lads on the course, support each other and these people are also your first 'contacts' in the trade and your support network.

I had a call out the blue from one of the lads yesterday!!!!!

The next step is definitely 2391 or 2392 depending on what you wish to do, 2391 makes more sense in my opinion. Some competency bodies will allow you to join with 2330 level3 and 17th with the stipulation of gaining 2391 within the year

BOL

I teach 2330 at college in the evenings and have a couple of guys in fulltime jobs that are nothing to do with the trade. Yet they cant switch jobs as they need to earn a decent wage.

It is obvious to me that the guys who can't apply the knowledge and skills in their daytime do feel a little at a disadvantage but it is important to express this to the lecturers.
My guys are due their practical assessment in a few weeks and are starting to brick it a bit, some have expressed to me that there are things they have never done before. As they have told me their concerns I have adjusted all my lesson plans and now these guys will find it a lot easier. It's in my interest for the lads to pass and it will be just as much in your teachers interest for you to sail through.

It should take around 3 years to do the 2330, it could be less if your class apply themselves enough.
Then you should seek the 2391, as this is a level 3 course, whilst the 2392 is a level 2.

It really is worth it, and 2 evenings a week is easy to work around.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back