how do i stand and are my rights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had my kitchen refitted by a company who use there own electrician.
He has broken into a ring circuit adding extra sockets and fused outlets for various devices in the kitchen, also on the same circuit there is an outside socket.

At the board (MK sentry) there is a 32amp breaker for the circuit backed up by a main rcd switch 100ma (cant remember the ampage)

He has said i don't need a 30ma rcbo on the circuit circuit as its covered by a 100ma main switch, which i know (because i have done the 17th edition) is wrong.

As of yet he has not done a minor works test to the circuit, i dont think he will either because the kitchen company has said he has completed the work.

So where do i stand on this issue? what are my rights and what action can i take?

Sponsored Links
You should have received the MWC, the work should also have been notified to your LABC under part p of the building regs so you should receive something from them as well.
The MWC should have been filled out before putting the circuit into service.
Re the RCD issue, you need to take this up with the kitchen company as all sockets for general use need to be RCD protected by a 30mA device maximum, as do any unprotected concealled cables burried less than 50mm in a wall.

Yes i have emailed the kitchen company, stating that the rcbo should be installed and testing should be done, ok the sparky can deside not to do it but if there was an accident the courts will throw the book at him.

Sponsored Links
Surely you don't want to be waiting until someone gets injured before you do something about this fool?

Do you know the name of the contractor / company? Was he a member of a self certification scheme?

(Please answer yes or no, do not name them on a public forum)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back