HOW DO I WIRE A TWO WAY SWITCH WITH AN INTERMEDIATE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im in my last year of my apprenticeship and am looking to take my am2 pretty soon. i am struggling on a few things as the company i work for very rarely do them.
i need to know how to wire a two way switch with a intermediate if anyone knows please reply as i would be very grateful.

hope to hear soon.

Sponsored Links
you need to use twin n earth between your first switch and your light fitting(s)
then 3 core n earth between your first switch and your last switch via your intermediate switch .

you link com to com l1 to l1 and l2 to l2 between your first and last switch.
and at the intermediate you put the cable that link com to com into a connector block or crimp it .
and switch the l1 and l2 links with the intermediate switch.

hope that makes sense?

so at the intermediate switch you will have brown in and brown out in a connector block, grey in and grey out in l1, black in and black out in l2 , and then nothing in the common terminal.

theres no common at a intermediate switch just 2x l1 and 2x l2

Sponsored Links
adam0102 said:
so at the intermediate switch you will have brown in and brown out in a connector block, grey in and grey out in l1, black in and black out in l2 , and then nothing in the common terminal.

There is no common terminal on an intermediate switch, you are basically just cutting into the 3core cable between the 2way switches and switching between the l1's and l2's, you can do this as many times as you want, ie. long corridor etc. If you are doing your am2 then i suggest you sit the refresher course and take detailed notes as they will explain this all to you in very much detail. "Dont worry"

hope this helps.
RMS

believe it or not there is a drawing in the refernce section

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back