How do you build a Lean-to / veranda roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to build a roof over my patio. One side fitted to brick wall, the other to be against posts, with a poly roof.

I'm told using ground brackets is best, fitting them to the paving slabs.

Trying to work out how to build the roof. Is it best to build the frame first. and then raise that to the posts. Or to fit the posts. Fit the beam against the house. Then fit each length from beam to the post. And start to drill the rest of the frame together?

If that is right, how do you fit the two length posts of the side of the roof, to the beam? With a bracket (that has a hinge?).

Sponsored Links
I made a veranda roof last year it was approx 1.5m x 4.0m long.
I made my roof in 2 sections 2.0m long as it was heavy to lift if in 1 section, I fitted a few brackets to the house and then offered the roof up one side and rested on the brackets and then used old wood to prop it up while I bolted the posts in with ground brackets as suggested.
Obviously when it was all in place i then screwed the 2 frames together.
Also before i started i cut a slit in the house wall and cemented a strip of lead in place to overlap my poly sheets.

I built a lean to pergola last year, which is basically the same but without a roof

I bolted a wall plate to the house, sank posts into the ground, with postcrete.
Then added a cross bar between the posts and joists between the house and crossbar.
I have no purlins in that

I didn't worry about a fall, you will need to.

When I built a lean to conservatory, I did the same order, but added purlins.

Everything was cut on the ground and assembled in the air
Purlins & joists were rebated into each other

Sponsored Links
wdve made some convrete piles with a bracket bolted in in to set timber beams in ,wouldn't have bin happy putting them on paving stones personally ,not much weight on poly though and I guess youre not talking a big area .anyway looking at the post date you've probably done it by now .wot did u go for?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back